cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the Best Video Accelerator Program?

norfolkcrystal

Which is the Best Video Accelerator Program?

Roll_eyes Can any of the members recommend a good reliable video accelerator program.
Searching on the internet there seems to be about 6 main ones all claiming to be the best.
As I cannot find any independent sites that have tested these programs.
Can the members of this forum help me?  Smiley 
10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Which is the Best Video Accelerator Program?

What exactly do you want to accelerate? Have you tried upgrading the graphics drivers?
I find the best way is to upgrade to a faster video card - software solutions often perform much less than they claim... they also use up valuable processing power and are not compatible with all applications.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Are these just part of the 'clutterware' that claims to speed up PCs in various ways?
As Peter has suggested, most video acceleration is achieved through the actual hardware and the driver.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
norfolkcrystal

Thanks for the advice.
As to what I am trying to do it is to reduce or stop buffering on sites like you tube.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you think this is a video problem, and not a more likely cause such as a poor broadband connection, or insufficient memory in your PC ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi norfolkcrystal,
I can't see any dropped connections on your line, your usage is fine and your profile is over 17Mb so I can't see anything on your account that might be causing this.
Is it all video streaming sites, i.e. iPlayer, youtube, vimeo etc? Also, if you could post your computer's specifications that'd help (you can get this by right clicking on 'Computer' or 'My Computer' and going to Properties) - if you could post the Processor speed, amount of memory and also (if you know) what graphics card it is that'd be really handy.
I suspect it may be an older PC hence why I'm asking, so possibly that could be the reason for the slowdown.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

And don't rule out wi-fi issues if connected wirelessley.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
norfolkcrystal

Matt.
My computer is a Toshiba L670 Laptop.
Intel Core i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz
8.00 G.B. ram (7.86 usable).
This computer came with 4 G.B. and was upgrade over 1 year ago to 8 G.B.
Windows 7 Home Premium
I do not know how to find out about the graphics card
It is iplayer and you tube and all similar sites that need lots of buffering
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you download a program in HD from iPlayer does it play back successfully or do you only see issues when streaming online?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right... definitely not going to be a hardware problem then! That should play anything you throw at it.
In that case, as walker23 says - do you connect to the router using wireless or wired? If it is wireless, please try connecting via an ethernet cable and see if that makes a difference?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Temporarily try turning off any software firewall and anti-virus software to see if they are the cause. Sometimes these can affect throughput due to scanning of incoming traffic; they may not be playing nice together.
Also check for any other background apps that may be monitoring your traffic as your laptop spec should be more than capable of handling any kind of streaming available.