Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Way Is UP.... for the new Sagecom 2704N

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Which Way Is UP.... for the new Sagecom 2704N

For those who do not have this delightfully smart looking PlusNet logo`s router,....
It is rectangular in shape... 4.5" by 5.5" .... and has a series of green led`s in a row along the "top" edge of the front panel.... TOP here is referenced by having two fold out "feet" at the bottom...
Just received it, and have put it into action,... but can`t read the words against the led`s because they are printed to be read with your head at 90 degrees to the vertical, left ear on left shoulder! position... so I have it stood on the right hand end, in a vertical stance....
A thought crossed my mind, as to which way the antenna would be, in that position, and would it, being on it`s side, be detrimental signal wise to the wifi reception of my laptop positioned 2 feet below it... so I checked it out using inSSIDer..... interesting results...
In the correct position... i.e feet at the bottom.... the signal reading is -48dBm with a link score of 97
in the "inverted"position... i.e feet on top......        the signal reading is -33dBm with a link score of 99
with the feet to the left, standing it on the right hand edge, so you can read the printing next to the led`s.... signal reading is -32 and link score  70
the other way up.....                                                                      so you can`t read the printing unless you are in australia... signal reading is -36dBm and link score 79.

Interestingly.... inSSIDEr help, suggests that the higher the link score number, the better.... so it looks like I should be using it in the "australian" or "inverted" from normal configuration.... however, the link score also jumps up and down a bit so, it could be better off the right way up....
a bit confusing, because in the "normal" position, the signal level is somewhat reduced compared to the sideways, and upside down,  figures.....   Undecided

Why on earth didn`t the designers think of that when placing the led`s and the printing of their meanings  ?   they could have designed it so they were in a group of 5 either side and the print would have been easy to read,...

16 REPLIES 16
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Which Way Is UP.... for the new Sagecom 2704N

I think you have over thought this shutter. Plug it in and leave it alone Huh If everything is lit up ' green ' then your good. Grin
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran

Not really.... my previous router had a little antenna sticking out of it, which you could rotate to a "useful" position, depending on the location of the unit, and the locationof the laptop, and this one does not have an external antenna.... so I just applied some "logical" thinking.... as to how best to locate it for the best signal reception on the laptop ! ! .  Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ahh not a fan of internal antennas on routers myself either.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: shutter
as to how best to locate it for the best signal reception on the laptop ! ! .  Smiley

best location would probably be in the bin, and replace it with a better router.
shutter
Community Veteran

Not a very useful, or helpful comment.....  Shocked
chenks76
All Star

how so? you would get far better wifi coverage with directional aerials if you get a much better router.
if you are going to the stage or rotating routers to gain a few extra points then wifi quality and strength must be important to you - a free sagecom router with an internal aerial isn't going to give you great results.
shutter
Community Veteran

Obviously, you have not fully read, and comprehended what I said in my original post....
I fail to see how chucking a perfectly good router in the bin and buying something more expensive will be better for my situation.
Before you make ineffective comments, that have no bearing on the original posting, I suggest you consider making constructive comments on paper and then reading through them before actually posting them, to make sure that they apply to the situation being discussed,...
Comments such as your previous one do not add anything to the thread, are unhelpful, uselss, and indeed they just disrupt it,....
The thread was started as a lighthearted thread,.... which if you had read it properly, you would understand, but.........  you are chenks76
chenks76
All Star

i didn't see anything remotely lighthearted in your original post, maybe you missed a smiley or two.
you clearly went to the effort of rotating the router and measuring the wifi in each position.
you then went on to comment on the designers being inept.
your second post then went on to comment that you were looking for optimal signal.
of course, you had to take it to the level of personal insults.
lets hope the moderators do their job and remove them.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I gave up trying to get a decent wifi with the FAST  PN router and bought 3 homeplugs and turn wifi off .
and the Daft thing is although it has 2 wall mounting screws holes ITS !!!!! impossible to fix it to the wall ,  what stupid idiot designs a wall mounting you cant use when you plug the wires in , ask Jim  Wink so i had to have a bracket made Just to be able to fix it to the wall  Crazy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and Jim now has his Billion 8800NL sitting there and working very well  Grin Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

[me=jelv]waits to see how long it takes shutter to get the tbb ping monitor working with his new router[/me]
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

Jelv will be old and wizened like a dried prune, before shutter does that... not even going to bother..
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I will most probably take PN that long to update the firmware to use the TBB on the FAST router  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I leave mine lying face down, Its not a lot of bother to make the wan ping work in all honesty.