Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Package ?

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Which Package ?

Was looking to download an anti virus checker for Linux mint 11 from Avast.
3 packages are shown but how do I know which one to use ?
RPM Package
Deb Package
Tar gz package
Have done a fair bit of reading up about linux but am unsure about the above.
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
15 REPLIES 15
mwerle
Grafter

Re: Which Package ?

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian. (Unless you have Linux Mint Debian Edition, in which case it's directly based on Debian).
In either case you want the Deb package.
If that fails to install (eg, missing dependencies), you'll have to try the Tarball.
RPM is used by Distributions which are based off Redhat (RPM == Redhat Package Manager).
Cheers,
- Micha.
PS. Linux doesn't have much of a virus problem, so it's not as critical as with Windows to install an anti-virus package.  Most people I know (myself included) never bother.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

RPM is former redhat package manager - cpio compressed pre-cooked package for Redhat/Mandrake/Mandriva/whatever derivatives
DEB is debian package - ar compressed pre-cooked package for Debian/Ubuntu/whatever derivatives
TAR GZ is a tarball - just targzipped directory structure with relevant files, and one install shell script
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the responses.
The majority of Linux users do not appear to bother with anti virus programs but you do say "Linux does not appear to have much of a virus problem" which suggests that it's rare for this to occur but some articles in computer mags appear to suggest that it's wise to use such a program in Linux and the main companies producing anti virus software must feel there is a need for a Linux version.
I Recently contacted my bank regarding security and Linux and they informed me I would be fully covered for any fraudulent transactions providing I had appropriate software security in place whilst using Linux.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

All that the majority of AV products for Linux do is scan for M$ virii  Grin
Given that there aren't yet any Linux virii out of the labs.
I have been using Linux exclusively for over 4 years now and never had any issues with online security.  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

providing I had appropriate software security in place whilst using Linux.

It would be interesting to ask them to define what they consider 'appropriate software security' for Linux. Smiley
A lot of the banks now seem to be recommending Rapport, unfortunately its not supported under Linux Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Denzil
Grafter

The main reason people install AV on Linux is if they are running mail servers and want to avoid passing Windows viruses on to other Windows users.
Heloman
Grafter

I'm tempted to say that Linux is the best AV !
I've been running linux  (PCLinuxOS & Mint) for years now and follow a couple of linux-specific Ngs. Without exception the advice has been that there is no need for any of the current Linux/AV products unless your network includes Windows components.
mwerle
Grafter

Been running an 'always-on' Debian GNU/Linux server at home for nearly 10 years now; IPv4 is 1:1 NATted, but the server is also the endpoint of an IPv6 tunnel.  Never had a successful intrusion or virus (knock on wood).  I do have a firewall but don't run AV for the system.  The AV running is clam-av for checking emails as there are Windows machines occasionally accessing the email server.
My Ubuntu desktop/laptop machines don't run AV software either.  The Windows partition on my laptop most certainly does though!
Like MisterW, I would certainly be interested to hear back from the bank as to what they consider adequate protection for GNU/Linux!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A rather 'novice' question on this subject but wouldn't Linux be potentially vulnerable to things like Java exploits (after all it runs Java in browsers just like other OSes) or is that effectively prevented by the normal Linux practise of not running with root privelages?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
artificer
Grafter

those linux users who do go to the trouble of installing anti-virus packages do so out of consideration for their windows using friends.  i've never bothered with anti-virus for linux as viruses cannot propogate in linux because the whole filesystem is completely different and does not have that insane registry.  users do not routinely use an administrative account as in windows.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: walker23
A rather 'novice' question on this subject but wouldn't Linux be potentially vulnerable to things like Java exploits (after all it runs Java in browsers just like other OSes) or is that effectively prevented by the normal Linux practise of not running with root privelages?

The main defence against Java exploits is having a fully up to date / fully patched version of Java installed. Or simply not installing Java if you don't need it. Ditto for flash.
An exploit not running as root isn't particularly helpful if it instead runs as your usual user and therefore could steal or destroy all your personal data and documents.
However, don't forget where the term "rootkit" originated. "appropriate software security" could be scheduling running "rpm -Va" (there must be an equivalent for .deb based systems) to verify the integrity of all installed packages plus a script to find files not part of any package.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: MisterW
providing I had appropriate software security in place whilst using Linux.

It would be interesting to ask them to define what they consider 'appropriate software security' for Linux. Smiley
A lot of the banks now seem to be recommending Rapport, unfortunately its not supported under Linux Huh

I Think most or all of telephone conversations with Banks are recorded and the person I spoke to had to leave me on hold whilst going across to another office to speak with someone dealing with online banking. I Suspect the reply she gave me was to cover themselves in case something did go wrong and then they could say we advised the customer to have appropriate software security.
However I did download Avast and got a free key so scanned my files but all it reported was a long list of my files it could not get access to "permission denied" messages for most.
I Then tried to update the virus data base and got the message " Avast engine failed to reinitalise, the application will terminate now, error occured in avast!engine. Invalid argument "
So I just plan to forget about a virus checker, most of you don't appear to use them so I'm in good company.
mwerle
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
However, don't forget where the term "rootkit" originated. "appropriate software security" could be scheduling running "rpm -Va" (there must be an equivalent for .deb based systems) to verify the integrity of all installed packages plus a script to find files not part of any package.

On my server I have 2 rootkit checkers scheduled nightly, as well as pulling in the Debian security updates.  I get email and syslogs if anything suspicious crops up - so far, it's only ever been some left-over temporary files from procedures I knowingly initiated and hence expected.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Installing anti-virus software for something that doesn't exist is pointless.
You are bound to get a few false positives, and after a few weeks checking the false alarms you will take the "ignore" option.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."