Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Networking Software for a PS3

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Which Networking Software for a PS3

I have used the Samba share thing before for my desktop pc to share files on my network but does anyone know if it would work to share files to a ps3?
I'm trying to keep all my media in a folder on my main pc with ubuntu on so I can stream it to my ps3. Mediatomb keeps getting a mention on searches but I'm not familiar with it.
Has anyone got a tried and tested way of doing this?
52 REPLIES 52
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: Which Networking Software for a PS3

I had a mess around with media tomb last night seems this isn't going to be an easy one for a limited experience linux user like me  Sad
Firstly most apps that are designed for this seem to want upnp enabled to work or at least the first 2 most popular ones do anyway. Problem is version 6 of my router a BT business hub bought for dealing with long lines doesn't appear to support upnp. It says it does but port scan tests say different and is well documented by users.
I do have a new Thompson supplied by PN which I haven't set up yet so it looks like first things first to get that router going although I am a bit dubious about having upnp on the router to start with. I have heard lots of talk of security vulnerabilities using upnp so it's something I have avoided if at all possible. I tend to go down the static routes and port forwarding method.
I managed to get media tomb on and running using these instructions http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/stream-media-from-ubuntu-to-your-ps3/ the shared folder did appear on the XMB on the ps3 but it showed no files available. Could possibly be the upnp or me not doing it right not sure which. I tried re-booting the ubuntu machine but when I tried to open media tomb again it was asking for a user name and password, that took me down a totally different route relating to at which level I was logged into ubuntu with when I created the shared folder.
Time for bed for me  Grin
I've just been looking through http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/ another upnp based server application, lots of bugs and quite a few installations of other files required to make it work by the looks of things. Looks like it's gonna be a long night  Roll_eyes
I would love to hear if there's any other simplified methods to try before messing too much with stuff I don't understand if anybody has any or what are your thoughts on enabling upnp. It may be safer with a ps3 and ubuntu has the main OS's running because AFAIK neither really have any malicious code for them so far (not sure about linux) but there is an xp laptop in this network which could be vulnerable.
This is one thing M$ does have the upper hand on, the poster says it's easier than windows but I'm not sure how they base that. Firstly you have to edit the code in media tomb to make it work, then install loads of codecs and  get it to running when the machine boots up. Windows you go to media player and put a tick in box saying allow server and job done.
It doesn't get any easier than that.  Grin
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Had another crack at the weekend but this time using PS3 media server had to add it into the repo as well as some other decoders that was needed. It had a Java gui rather than http like media tomb. Very buggy, the folders were too much as well. I did have access to my shared media on the pc. There was issues where all my folders from the linux machine were available even though I just wanted the one. There was an option for not showing the folders which I ticked and re-started both machine but they were still there.
After re-starting the pc PS3 server kept on saying the ps3 wasn't connected unable to find but I could still access the pc files from the PC. Shocked
I've taken Ubuntu off this machine now, I think I have found it's limitations for every day home use. I have just got a Blackberry phone and the software won't go on linux and the networking to games consoles is pure nightmare. Looking for answers to my networking problems I seemed to get the impression that it was a bit of an half arsed attempt at the solution and there was a myriad of possible answers that would have taken that long to try them all PS4 would have been out.  Grin
Never mind nothing ventured I guess, having Ubuntu has my main computer has been a good in sight into the world of Linux and I still use it daily at work on two systems where it's probably more suited.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does the PS3 have Linux on it?
If so, a NFS server would be simplest - SAMBA is rather difficult to set up.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

No the ps3 didn't have linux on it m8 just the standard xmb, the two apps I tried which were designed for the job just didn't work very well. They would sometimes then it all changed after a restart and seemed to ignore any settings I made.
Now I have the parasitic grub loader to deal with  Angry Just looking up at the clock I have now spent roughly 15 hours between yesterday and today trying to get the hard drive back ubuntu was installed on.
Why does it have to be such an arse, just give me my hard drive back! I've tried fixing the mbr but unless there's a partition there to fix I'm getting nowhere. I've tried gparted from live cd but can't get ms-sys. My only windows access ethernet drivers don't work and my laptop has no floppy drive.
Proper Nightmare, never again am I going through this. Once I get this OS on I swear I'll never touch a computer again  Grin
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Any suggestions for getting my drive back? Current situation my "main" drive, so called because it's the newer of the two and faster so I run the OS on it and use the other for storage. It's a SATA where as the other is the big cable PATA I think.
Shows up in bios when I boot up, If I try to install xp the hard drive doesn't show up as an option. I can't repair the MBR using xp repair because it can't see the drive. The live ubuntu live cd I can see the drive, I have partitioned the space and changed it from bootable makes no difference.
I have tried maxtor blast bootable installation cd designed for the HD but it wont create a bootable partition saying that the "HD set in bios to be the boot does not contain a bootable partition use as extra storage only"
So it's cheque mate here, my head's gone with it  Crazy seems like onve ubuntu sets a partition as the boot nothing can change it's mind even when it's been deleted off there.
VileReynard
Hero

I don't know anything about PS3's.
The boot process consists of 448 bytes of boot code (in the first sector) which contains a branch to the startup code for your OS of choice, held in one of your partitions.
The next 4 x 16 bytes of that first sector hold the partition information.
You are doing the right thing with gparted - but if the MBR info is corrupt then gparted won't find your partitions.  Cry
You should have the "bootable" flag set to on.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Gparted does see the partition, I can set it too format the partition in ntfs and tick bootable. I then get the other hard drive formatted in ntfs untick bootable.
Then when I try to install xp the first main partition doesn't show up just the one I don't want to install it to. I can't repair a hard drive that windows can't see. Don't get me wrong it's not totally ubuntu, I am actually trying to get seven on there but the disc freezes up just after the installing windows screen. I have verified the disc and that's ok. The disc will work but only on a system that already has xp on so the plan is to put xp on then use the 7 disc to upgrade that installation. It just can't see the partition which I'm guessing is something to do with grub not letting anyhting write over the boot files it created.
As you can see it's been a long couple of nights hopefully never to be repeated in a hurry.
Waldo
Grafter

From GParted, have you used the Device -> Create Partition Table... option?
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

From GParted, have you used the Device -> Create Partition Table... option?

Thanks Waldo, you know what I'm not sure what I've tried anymore  Grin I'm going to have another crack at it tonight but with a level head. There was much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth going on last and I was tired.
So you reckon that should do it? create partition table the which options? If I haven't tried that already it probably is the only thing I haven't but know me it will be that.  Roll_eyes
Mean while back to the original topic, what's a NF server then? I also found some stuff on setting up an apache server but it seemed to relate more to networking pc's.
I don't know anything about PS3's.

I'm not sure about the networking side either m8. There is a function on there to stream media, what I do is keep the majority of my music and films on the PC and then stream them onto the ps3 to save me having to keep copying them over. Now on M$ products it's just a case of going into media player and tick the file sharing box, when the ps3 switches on you get a warning an unknown device is trying to connect and you just allow it and give it a name. The my music and my video folders then appear on the PS3 as accessible folders.
I've tried two things both were UPNP based set ups for linux. The first media tomb I has some success with but after re-booting I just couldn't log back into the HTTP interface it uses. I did some messing around and nothing seemed to go further just saying I didn't have the rights to access the folder.
The other was PS3 server, if the name is anything to go by you would have thought it was going to do it all itself. Not the case though it needed a lot of installing of codecs and other things that did not come in a standard ubuntu disc. I managed that and it worked first time round, only thing I didn't like was the fact that all your folders from ubuntu showed up on the PS3. There was an option to not show these folders but again it seemed to reset itself after reboot and didn't seem to take any notice of my setting changes. Searxhing about that seemed to be down to Java not functioning properly with PS3 server  Sad It also said the ps3 wasn't connected when it quite obviously was.
Ironically the ps3 and linux should have went hand in glove, it was the only console to support linux to be installed as a dual boot on their to make the ps3 function like a desktop but after no advances really in the red dog or black dog if I remeber right Sony stopped supporting linux after PS3 version update 2.6
Bit of a shame

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

So what type of partition table am I trying to create?
VileReynard
Hero

Assuming the PS3 works like a standard PC PC Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
The MBR can have up to 4 primary partitions; since this was thought to be a bit limiting, you are allowed to make one of these primary partitions an "extended partition".
An extended partition cannot contain data (directly), however it can contain up to 10(?) "logical partitions".
From the data point of view primary partitions and logical partitions are pretty much equivalent.
But I would think that Windows will insist upon a primary partition.
If the entire disk is currently non-bootable and presumably erasable, you could always reset your MBR by overwriting the first 512 byte sector with a valid one.
If anyone is interested in NFS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System_%28protocol%29 is worth a read.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I'm interested  Grin Just put 10.04.1 back on, Long story short decided to just install 7 onto the hard drive that windows could see, done the xp install then ran the 7 while in windows rather than booting from the disc (which froze) the disc needed to reboot and you guessed it stuck at the screen again.
Current situation, tired, miffed and waiting on 198mb worth of ubuntu updates downloading and coming to terms with having to re-install all my stuff from the repo and setting it all up again  Cry
then somehow formatting the windows drive that has now decided to try and boot up instead of ubuntu, It's like there's a windows v linux fight going on with the hard drives and neither will back down  Grin
I'm going to suss out if it kills me a way of streaming media to the ps3 which I'm sure can be done with some more messing  Roll_eyes and just put the blackberry software on my laptop.
Day 4 in the big brother house and tension is high.
Off to bed we'll speak tomorrow  Grin
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
So what type of partition table am I trying to create?

Would've been a standard MSDOS type.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I created a new table in msdos as it was the only format I recognised but it didn't work. Once I rebooted after installing ubuntu again I now have to pick which to start either the half way through 7 installation or the ubuntu. It seems like I have a MS boot record on one hard drive and a grub boot loader on the other.
Whats the best to get the boot files off the MS hard drive so I just go straight into ubuntu again?