Did you mean: 

Which Linux

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Which Linux

Hey guys
I'm soon to be playing with Samba, and hopfully setting up a Domain Controler using it for use by a Church.  What favour of linux do you recommend for use in more of a server environment? 
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

10 REPLIES 10
artificer
Grafter

Re: Which Linux

i've heard CentOs is supposed to be good for servers.  i'm sure others know better.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If it is purely as a server, then any LTS release of the major ones would be fine. CentOS is RedHat rebadged. Depends on what you are happiest with, if you are used to apt use a Debian/Ubuntu, if rpm them RedHat/CentOs.
What hardware are you planing on using it on also plays an issue, do you want/need a GDM or can you hack the terminal/use webmin?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks guys.  Last time I did this I used Fedora Core 3, mainly because I use Red Hat Advanced Server at work on a couple of machines.  I'm hoping to be able to get a couple of Dell PowerEdge servers from work, but that will depend on how many we need to redeploy.  I may need to source some memory and/or disks for them, but again that depends on what happens with the rest of them.  I would probably like GDM to start with, but in the long term it probably mostly be terminal access.
Thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Another one to have a look at is Clark Connect, it is more of a GP server, email/shared folders/printer sharing OOB. Ver 5 was just released (a couple of months ago) and is based on CenOs 5.
I used to use it as a firewall/print server/mail server for my small network running on a Via 1Ghz 384Mb. No GDM but a nice web based Gui.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks biker, I'll check it out.
Phil

zubel
Community Veteran

I'll throw my hat into the ring and offer up CentOS too - especially if it's going onto a Poweredge.
If you need to be more bleeding edge, Fedora Core should be the ticket.
I'm suggesting it mainly because you're already used to RHEL, so everything should be familiar
B.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I would also suggest CentOS, which is basically RHEL.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

ANY. Cheesy
Better than spending a fortune on Microsoft Windows Server Grin
Sorry, couldn't help that.
I thought Dell used to have a tie-up with Cannonical (Ubuntu) but I think that might not have related to the PowerEdge Server range, if they did supply these machines with Ubuntu then it would be a sensible choice as Dell themselves might have some support.
I would definitely agree with using an 'older' long term support distribution rather than latest 'state of the art' version, especially on 'not quite new' hardware.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Cheers guys.  I'll download CentOS and have a play when I get a moment.
Phil

Rich
Grafter

Quote from: biker955
Another one to have a look at is Clark Connect, it is more of a GP server, email/shared folders/printer sharing OOB. Ver 5 was just released (a couple of months ago) and is based on CenOs 5.
I used to use it as a firewall/print server/mail server for my small network running on a Via 1Ghz 384Mb. No GDM but a nice web based Gui.

I'm using ClarkConnect 4.3 and find it to be excellent - easy to use and well supported on the forum.
It has changed it's name recently and is now known as ClearOS.