Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Linux?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Which Linux?

Thanks again for the further replies.

Looking at the link for Mint supplied by hairymcbiker I think that may be my best option. Considering the age of the machine I was wondering if there was any benefit of installing the 64bit version over the 32 bit? Yet to check if it's a 64bit CPU anyway but I seem to remember it only had 2GB RAM anyway.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav

Sorry another question has sprung to mind.

I have Teamviewer installed on my PC, laptop and tablet and looking at their website Teamviewer can be installed in Mint but how easy is it to remotely fix problems from a Windows PC o0r Android Tablet; has anyone else pone this?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's usually best to go for 64 bit as not all the more ancient 32 bit programs get properly updated.
32 bit programs can be run by 64 bit Linux anyway.

I've used VNC (on Mint) to control the GUI on a Raspberry Pi. But this has very poor security.

If you just need to inspect log files etc on Mint then ssh is a better bet.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm not sure if this is true of Linux but you sometimes find old peripheral devices for which there are no 64-bit drivers.  Needing to use one of those would be the main reason for not opting for a 64-bit OS if your machine can take it.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

On Linux virtually any device driver that is available for any 32bit device is also available for a 64bit one.
I would recommend the 64bit version as it gives the best of both, you can still run 32bit apps easily. My old server ran with 2Mb of ram for a long time, no problems as you are not slowing it down with anti thisandthat programs. I ran an EEE for a couple of years with only 1Gb.

Don't know about teamviewer but I use VNC on my "server" to control it. If it is supported on their web site it will be fine.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
WRT to the above post, why would he want to use an ancient OS, that is no longer supported on THE NET? That is just asking for issues.
Personally I have been using Mint for over 8 years now. www.linuxmint.com get the Mate version of 18.1.

I still have xp installed on a couple of machines plus virtual machines! 

Win 7 on my old desktop and current desktop which is the same age as the machine mav is talking about (no actually is older) but it's got 8 cores so still plenty powerful enough. 

To be honest if it were me I'd just get a cheap licence off ebay and borrow / make a copy of a disc. Even freecycle is good for both. I used to take machines from freecycle just to get the licence stickers. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

For many years M$ licensing has been PER MACHINE not per key. So a key from a Dell can't be used on an Acer etc. It is also NON transferable.
Just another of the many reasons I no longer use M$ as my main OS.

If you are happy using XP "live" then good luck, on a VM not so bad, just roll it back, but on a live PC <crazy>
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

OEM licenses are tied to the machine they came with, retail licenses are transferable.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The trouble with computers is that they comprise a whole series of different parts, each of which can be replaced.  In the past I have repaired Windows computers from major manufacturers by replacing the motherboard.  I have used the licence key from the (OEM) product key sticker (computers used to have those), phoned Microsoft to activate the licence and there was not a problem.  Perhaps there was something that told Microsoft the replacement motherboard was a retail and not an OEM part because otherwise I could have lied and used the same procedure to transfer an OEM licence to another OEM machine. 

HairyMcbiker
All Star

@Browni 99% of the licences on boxes are OEM.
@ReedRichards exactly you are fixing the original PC, not moving the licence which is illegal (according to M$ anyway) When you buy a PC (with M$ installed) you are RENTING the OS not buying it.

When I used to work on M$ systems for a living, licensing was a major issue. Think 10,000's of pc's in use. Each had to have a licence for the OS, and other (maybe) to access the domain etc etc.
VileReynard
Hero

This is a problem of Microsoft's own making.

Mav

Finally got round to creating a Mint bootable USB and installing on my brother's PC. Piece of cake but there is no wifi adaptor and I don't have a spare Ethernet cable so will get a cheap adaptor tomorrow (if I have time) then finish the setup.

Thanks for all the help and will pop back if I have any issues needing attention.

VileReynard
Hero

Don't start the install until you get a working internet connection as the install will download stuff from secure web sites.

Tagger
Grafter

If you go for Linux Mint, try the Cinnamon desktop - it offers a choice.  I found it very easy to get used to after Windows.  While it's obviously a different operating system, things like the main menu, the icon tray and so on are where you would expect them to be.

Mav

@VileReynard wrote:

Don't start the install until you get a working internet connection as the install will download stuff from secure web sites.

Now you tell meWink

Installation seemed to go ok but then was nagged for internet access. I bought a pair of homeplugs and will continue installation later.

I am assuming it will just continue from where it left off?