cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ISP will be the first to offer 1 mth contracts for VDSL ><VDSL migrations?

deathtrap
Grafter

Which ISP will be the first to offer 1 mth contracts for VDSL ><VDSL migrations?

I ask this question because of the recent changes announced by BT Openreach they will no longer require ISP's to commit to a min term of 12mths in cases where the migrating customer has had an active VDSL service for 12mths or over, it has been reduced to a 1mth min term.
Also the activation fee  has been reduced to £11.?? it charges all isp's
So far not one isp has even any plans to change from 12-18mth min term for incoming vdsl migrations ,some even are still charging a hefty activation/install fee too, (which was used as an excuse for a contract length grater than 12mths ) but IMO they can no longer be justified in using it as a reason now that they are no longer being charged those high fees by BT OR ,And soon the wires only installs will be available to all isp's (for new customers)
4 REPLIES 4
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Which ISP will be the first to offer 1 mth contracts for VDSL ><VDSL migrations?

Hi deathtrap,
Sorry I never replied to the original thread.
Whilst I can see the benefits to the end user, there is nothing in the running for this to be actioned.
Just out of interest, and market research reasons, how much would you expect to pay on a standalone one month contract?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Which ISP will be the first to offer 1 mth contracts for VDSL ><VDSL migrations?

Preferably no more than i'm currently paying £20 per month, but at a push £25/30 per month but certainly no more than that, as the costs to the ISP are no grater, and as long as the ISP is able to maintain low latency  good peering transits and max throughput 24/7  then they would have no fear of loosing me as a customer
And for the occasional times that i needed support.they where able to provide it  without it being scripted
AndyH
Grafter

Remember the wholesale costs don't include bandwidth/general overheads. Also the activation fee with most ISPs includes some form of a router/modem - it's £110.40 for an engineer install and £58.80 wires' only. The FTTC migration fee (same property/line) is £13.20.
deathtrap
Grafter

With a FTTC>FTTC migration (BT wholesale)  there is no equipment needed as the EU will already have the active NTE (Openreach modem) or their own ,
" The FTTC migration fee (same property/line) is £13.20" correct it is, so then why are ISP still charging the same install fees as they do for new customers who are still on ADSL?  as well as wanting to tie them into a lengthy min term contract of at least 12mths  they used to use the excuse that it was to re-coop the openreach charges and that openreach  only sold FTTC with 12mths min terms , Both no longer apply  for FTTC>FTTC BT wholesale migrations, no hardware, engineers needed
As for the bandwidth costs,. the subscription  should cover this, in fact if it didn't most would be out of business very quickly , And they could stop this race to the bottom by offering broadband at unrealistic prices sub £10 per month