Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the address book?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Where is the address book?

I am trying to transfer my address book on Thunderbird on a recently removed HDD, to a new install on another HDD...
I know the file is .ldif    However, after putting that in the "search box" ( above the START button)... it does not produce  a result.... ( well it did, but that was an old old old version that I saved into a folder a long time ago )...  I want to find the latest copy of the address book file, to make sure I don`t lose recent contact addresses...
I vaguely remember something about Mozilla and Roaming.... but can`t seem to find it in there either... ( just downloaded and installed a new copy of Thunderbird  hence the need )...
Any help appreciated.....
(Old thunderbird is in a caddy as Drive E:/  and running windows vista home premium )
thanks  
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Where is the address book?

you would probably need to change the folder view options to see hidden and system files
shutter
Community Veteran

I had already done that, !  but just double checked to make sure ! ...  Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

shutter
Community Veteran

No, But,.... while you were kindly researching for me.... I have found a way of doing it. !....
Go to Address book on Thunderbird....
Click on the Personal Address book
Select/highlight all the addresses
Click on Tools
Click on Export ( this opens a "save" dialogue)  Enter a name and "save" it to Documents as .LDIF file
Click on  Collected Addresses
Select/highlight all the addresses
Click on Tools
Click on Export ( open the "save" dialogue)   Enter a name and "save it to Documents as .LDIF file
Now... Copy the two .LDIF files over to the new hdd and then.. (using the Import  command on Tools ) . on the new Thunderbird all you need to do is to locate the saved copies and paste them as new address books....   You can then copy them to the Proper address locations, and delete the "donor" folder as it will be empty !...
Thanks for your efforts, as usual, Jim.... much appreciate it.   Wink
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I find Mozbackup a great utility for  backing up  FF and TB
It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, passwords, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.