Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When setting up a new router

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

When setting up a new router

The new router installation went smoothly with the wi-fi reporting "connected". But, and there's always a but, it doesn't connect to the internet.

This is a protocol upgrade from .n to .ac, The existing router has been reactivated, and is working fine (if slower than the .ac is predicted to be).

I'm obviously missing something along the installation, having followed the new router "quick start guide", but I can't see what.

Any suggestions please?

I don't think it makes any difference but the old router is a Netgear DGN2200v3, the new one a TP Link 1200 AC, both are ADSL+2 modem routers. So in theory should be apart from the speed change like-for-like, or is that too simplistic?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: When setting up a new router

Fix

But, and there's always a but, it doesn't connect to the internet.

I'm obviously missing something along the installation, having followed the new router "quick start guide", but I can't see what.

You have configured the new router with your PlusNet username@plusdsl.net and your password haven't you ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

petlew
Pro

Oooops!!Embarrassed

Thank you MisterW.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I hope the OP realises that ADSL2 can't achieve ac speeds?

An upgrade to fibre would be far more cost effective - especially as Plusnet could be persuaded to give you discounts plus a free rather manky router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro

So are you saying, stay with the older Netgear router on "n", or, install the later TP-Link which is "ac" capable with a USB wi-fi ac adaptor?

I've had the adaptor for rather longer than the router, I can confirm as expected that there is no benefit with it with the n Netgear router.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I was saying the wifi connection can't exceed ADSL2 speeds - unless you get rid of the ADSL2. Wink

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

That's only applicable to accessing the internet. If it was local networking only then you would see a difference.
That's RPM to you!!