Whats your favorite distro ?

Server: SME Server 7.x [www.contribs.org]
Desktop: Zenwalk [www.zenwalk.org]
41 REPLIES 41
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: Whats your favorite distro ?

Debian on servers, Ubuntu on desktops.
At home I have a Mac though, it's a nice break from using Linux all day at work  Smiley
Loombucket
Grafter

Ditto, although I shall shortly be looking at PCLinuxOS 2007 as it appears to be an even more comprehensive package than Ubuntu.
I'm looking at it strictly from an end-user's point of view to see just how practical an alternative to Window$ it could be.
Colin
Grafter

I tend to use Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) at home, and Debian on my box in the office. Other than that, it's a Mac or Vista Cheesy
rmerewood
Dabbler

It's Gentoo on my home systems, but that's probably because I enjoy tinkering with them more than having something that works. Plus, it was it was fun to tune things for one of the Transmeta chips I had.
For servers, let's face it, you'll probably be going with Debian unless you have a specific reason not to.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Mac! Although I do use this http://www.colinux.org/ to run Debian as a Windows service on my server.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
custompc

Server: I was into TSL [Trustic Secure Linux] for quite some time. Small footprint, no running services after install (apart from postifx) and good package management / updates. Also, like Trustix, Slackware, a very hands on  do it yourself distro. I also have installed FreeBSD on many occasions and feel it is more coherent than GNU/Linux in some repects.
For small business and to replace alot of M$ SBS I have been using SME Server to very good effect - it provides alot of pre-configured services that are very easily fine tuned /controlled thru web or CL interface.
I am sticking with Zenwalk (previously Mini-Slack) on desktops as its a single disc 400mb distro that gets every single piece of my desktop hardware and is focused in that there is only one app for each job, and you get to vote that in if you are active enough. Installs in 12 minutes here, on the net in 15 flat. If you are like me, a relentless distro surfer, give it a try you might like it !!!
Seems like you +net guys are heavily into Deb, what are the main reasons for this?
custompc

Sorry, have to disagree about Ubuntu !!!
Because I finished early and it was raining decided to give it another look. It took ages to install (ok, theres full OO included) but the end result was a slow / bloated desktop IMO.
Compare this to Zenwalk (uses XFCE) and you should see a noticable speedup on the same machine.
I started this install of Zenwalk at 8:23 and was on the net at 8:41 with a fully functional desktop.
I personally dont think you can beat Zen for a great Linux desktop - give it a try - you might like it !!!
rmerewood
Dabbler

Quote from: custompc
Seems like you +net guys are heavily into Deb, what are the main reasons for this?

can't speak for the network guys on this one, but from a dev. point of view i'd go with stability and the fact that just about everyone is familiar with it. i've rarely run into issues with debian that weren't caused by me not following instructions.
Because I finished early and it was raining decided to give it another look. It took ages to install (ok, theres full OO included) but the end result was a slow / bloated desktop IMO.

the default set-up - i'd probably agree with you, but i think that's down to their target user. i'm using ubuntu here with XFCE as my desktop environment and the services tweaked a bit. really haven't noticed much that's annoyed me.
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Just to go with what Colin said, Debian is great for server use because:
- Stable
- Very mature
- Good tracking of security updates
- Good release cycle (stable, testing, unstable)
- Wide range of packages
- Smaller default install than most distros
- Excellent package format (.deb)
- Excellent package management system (apt)
- Automatable install process (preseed)
- Free (as in speech and beer), no vendor lock-in or commercial vested interests
- Active development community
- Runs on a wide range of architectures (not that we really need this, but...)
- Easy to build custom kernel packages keeping to the Debian standard
- Supports modern hardware (and with the above step, any that recent Linux does)
- Upgrade path available between major releases (stable -> testing)
Other reasons I'm sure haven't sprung to my mind just yet, but you get the idea.  Ease of administration is a big plus as it keeps administrative overheads down.  Package management is a very important point in a commercial environment.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I just picked Debian because it means I can hassle Ben when it doesn't work Smiley
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
jprestwood

Debian for my PC used for general surfing and web development
Vista for gaming and watching TV Smiley
alkatraz
Dabbler

Desktops - Slackware
Servers - Slackware
Media Centres - Slackware
Laptops - Slackware
I agree that Debian is as good an option for servers - but Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware Slackware!
P.S. Slackware.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I felt it may be an advantage for some users to summarize your post;
Slackware  Grin
Chilly
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team