cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats DLM, SNR,noise,sync... Noob alert Noob alert!

MarkB
Grafter

Whats DLM, SNR,noise,sync... Noob alert Noob alert!

Hi there all,

Just signed up to plusnet after spending a couple of weeks watching these forums to see what the CS was like etc. While doing so I have discovered a hole in my knowledge of things.. mainly anything to do with broadband. While I'm far from computer illiterate, in the past I've never had anything to do with such terms as DLM, sync, SNR or noise etc. I had a cable connection which simply worked. However that was several years ago and now living somewhere else. I've ordered the contract free option, along with a wireless router and am getting my phone connected too. All for a very fair price I have to say - of course the old addage "you get what you pay for" comes to mind, but I hope this is false worry on my part.
I've done a search but couldn't see anything, nor could I see any 'sticky' ( would be a good idea perhaps? or have I missed it.. wouldn't surprise me really.. Cheesy ) So I wonder if someone could take pity on me, and put on their kid gloves, explain is small words, and simply terms whats what. I hope That I never have to actually use them in anger at Tech Support, but I know my mates will want to know as they too are interested in plusnet.
2 REPLIES 2
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Whats DLM, SNR,noise,sync... Noob alert Noob alert!

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley
There are a lot of knowledgeable folks in these parts, who will be happy to answer any queries.
As a start, though, this is one of the best sites to find the basics.  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Whats DLM, SNR,noise,sync... Noob alert Noob alert!

Yep these TLAs and FLAs can be a PINA  Cheesy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lists_of_TLAs