cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What wireless adaptor should i get?

sashworth

What wireless adaptor should i get?

I've recently got a broadband package with plusnet and was sent the Voyager 2091 router which has been installed and plugged into the family desktop in the living room. it runs on XP.
I have a Desktop in my room which i have recently purchased and is run on Vista Home Premium.
i need a wireless adaptor for said vista PC so i can use the internet.
however i don't know what product would be best. after some searching on the web i hear lots of mentions of this and that not working on Vista, including the Voyager Wireless Adaptor.
the only thing i have thus far come across is the: NETGEAR WG111 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adaptor (802.11b, 802.11g) Windows Vista Compatible (2007 edition)
on amazon here:
www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Adaptor-802-11b-Compatible
is this a good choice or is there better?
would it be better to set up the router on the PC in my room and but an adaptor for the family PC???
final note, i will be using my PC alot and will be both browsing the net and playing games online. are the mbps speeds on adaptors important?Huh
Please help.
p.s please keep your reply's to fairly simple launguage, i know a bit about computers but not as much as i'd like to.
cp:blue Over long URL converted to a link. mod:end
2 REPLIES 2
hulls
Grafter

Re: What wireless adaptor should i get?

Hi
I've read in other threads, that it's a good idea to stick to one brand for router and adapters (which sounds reasonable). So you may need to go for the relevant adapter for your router.
I've not had problems in this regard, with my Belkin router and Belkin adapters, however like you, I recently got a new computer for my son (Vista Home Premium installed) and had a little trouble with Vista drivers.  It seemed that Belkin had no drivers for the USB adapter I already had, however with a little digging, I found that Belkin had drivers on their site for it (they were drivers supplied by the chip manufacturers that Belkin used).  I downloaded these and followed their instructions, and presto they worked fine.
A little long-winded I know, but the upshot is, that the drivers you need may be out there, just not where you expect to find them, try a  Google search or similar.
John
chino
Grafter

Re: What wireless adaptor should i get?

Used belkin and dlink both with no issues though i never use the branded software to connect to a WIFI connection as i seem to get issues. No matter what dongle you use try and use windows software...