Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was RIN and what was the point?

techguy
Grafter

What was RIN and what was the point?

Hi
I keep seeing references to RIN over the forums, I gather it allowed customers to route their traffic over BTnet rather than PN.
Was it designed as a backup or were PN seriously looking at handing off traffic to BT?
10 REPLIES 10
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: What was RIN and what was the point?

The Search engine is your friend? Wink
This is a suitable starting point.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You mean it actually worked for once  Grin
techguy
Grafter

So basically it would take PN out of the equation entirely and would be the same as if I signed up with BT Broadband.
Why not just go for BT broadband have done with it.
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Was it designed as a backup or were PN seriously looking at handing off traffic to BT?

HI TG..  Well, of course after we'd been bought by BT we had the chance of using the retail network to see whether it would work for us and our customers.  We weren't ever envisioning the day that we'd move all our traffic to the RIN network, more like looking at all the options available to us. We've got to keep looking at ways we can keep our costs down whilst never losing sight that customer experience is what drives us. So we trialled it last year.  We've got in the region of 250 customers currently using it.
No, it wouldn't've been the same as signing up with BT Broadband, but your internet connection would be shared on the same network as their customers.

techguy
Grafter

Hi Peter
Taking a networking geek's eye view I'd be rather disaapointed if PN just became a white label brand with its traffic travelling over someone else's network as for a kickoff we would not be able to ask you guys to gave something a nudge or cast your eye over some misbehaving server/networking kit as it would be a case of reporting it to you and then you raising an issue with BT etc and if they are anything like when dealing with BB faults we could be in for a long wait.
I would definitely leave if this happened as it's bad enough that BT have involvement at any level, not least webwise and so I definitely wouldn't to deal with them as the network supplier (for the record, I was a BTinternet dial up customer for a while and their mail servers were down for days at a time along with dia up issues etc)
never again.
So please, don't think of doing this, I want to deal with PN and my traffic to travel over your net.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, we've closed the trial and though it was definitely worth doing we haven't given access to any customers over there without them expressly asking for it. Also if there were any plans to do something like that you'd be getting plenty of notice - and that's only if something like that happens.
techguy
Grafter

Cheers Matt
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
Moved to a more appropriate board.
Ianwild
Grafter

I (within my role at Plusnet) was looking at RIN because it's the way we would have been able to offer BT Vision quickly. Vision is designed to work specifically with RIN and re-engineering it for Plusnet's network is a much bigger job. It's also worth noting that we have a different network profile on RIN to that BT Broadband customers get, so performance and experience are not necessarily the same (in fact, they are not the same at all!).
Ian
techguy
Grafter

My point was I chose PN partly because of price and reviews but mostly after reading the network technical stuff (being someone that is looking to develop their career in that direction details such as what you use fo terminate connections, core network capacity and who you take transit from and peer with matter to me)
So therefore I wouldn't want to stay if my traffic were being sent over BT's network (I do understand that the ATM and coloussus are owned by BT but in the end the traffic is delivered to PN's infrastructure and thats the way I'd like it to stay.
Smiley