Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of CD using Nero?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What type of CD using Nero?

I have some .flv files that I want to put on to a CD.
I have Nero 7
which Burning Prog should I use, from the following available types.
Data CD        Audio CD    MP3 CD    Nero Digital Audio    Video CD  or Super Video CD.
I think I can dismiss the first three, on the grounds that they are purely Audio related.
However, I`m not sure which of the last three I should use to burn the files to.
Any advice please?
(No I do not have a DVD burner on this laptop) (only a DVD player)
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: What type of CD using Nero?

Subject to being completely wrong.
I assume you will be transferring the flash video files to the CD then playing them on your laptop.
As such I think you should burn a data CD as your program for playing them would respond just the same as if they were on your hard drive
samuria
Grafter

* Oldjim is correct or you could convert them to avi or mpg and then create a video dvd/cd. It depends how big they are and what you want to do with them. You would just burn them as data cd and you could then run them from the cd being FLV files which is a flash format you would need to have flash player installed on any pc you tried to play it on or it wouldnt work (some players have the codec built in).
If you want to convert them to avi then get a free converter from
http://www.onlyfreewares.com/Audio-Video/Video-Converters/Free-FLV-to-AVI-Converter.php
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Jim, and Samurai.  I think that is the way to go.... have got a multimedia convertor prog, and tried to change to .avi format, it worked but files were about 3 x the size !..... so for now, just sticking to a Data Disc so I can play them on the laptop..... flash player is installed, along with a dedicated FLV player. !
The quality is pretty poor, when playing on full screen,  but I might want to try putting them on a CD for viewing on the TV.  Just to see what they are like ! !   
What format should I convert them to? and which burning prog for watching on a TV.....
bearing in mind, I do not have a DVD writer....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You may have a problem.
My DVD Player won't play a video file from a CD as it thinks all CD's are music and therefore won't recognise the video file
samuria
Grafter

If you only want to do this as a one off download from
http://www.sorensonmedia.com/pages/?pageID=8
Sorenson squeeze.
FLV file are highly compressed flash video and the use Sorenson squeeze to get the compression. The main purpose is to reduce web traffic as most of the videos will be streamed over the web like UTube etc.
The stand alone software does exactly the same thing but it can be saved in all sorts of formats like mpg avi mov etc so you can still have the same file size but as a movie file. It does let you add all sorts of other stuff to it as well as lighten darken etc
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the link to sorenson squeeze.  Wink
Will download it when I have got the .flv files ready (choosing the best quality ones to start with!) then I should have 14 days in which to change the format.
Do you know what would be the best format for TV?
Presumably when I burn the "new" format files, with Nero, I will use the VCD prog ?
shutter
Community Veteran

Heres an update...... have converted the .flv files to  mpeg using "Quick Media Convertor"..... then burned them to a CDrom (rewritable) using Nero and using the VCD format. (choice of PAL or NTSC)  (I used PAL)  tried it in the TV DVD player slot, and it gave a message "wrong type"....
So now I am  having a go using the DVD type of coding, but wonder which system I should use  PAL or NTSC?  Any offers please?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If it is a UK bought TV / Player then it should be PAL.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Adiewoo, I thought it was, but the t.v has a video casette player in it too.... and that says NTSC playback..... and that confused me somewhat!  It is UK bought .
we do have a seperate TV with seperate DVD player, and seperate video cassette player too!  so? still go for the PAL system then?
dvorak

yeah still go for PAL, some DVD players also support NTSC  (American) but PAL would be safest.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

ok Here goes ! Smiley
dvorak

Good luck , and please don't blame me if it goes wrong  Roll_eyes