Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What time is midnight?

tazmaniandevil
Grafter

What time is midnight?

Yes, silly question - I know.
I'm due to switch imminently, but I have a query regarding times.
The member Centre says, "We'll arrange for your fibre broadband service to be installed. This will happen on 13/02/2014"
When I look at the order tracker however it says, "Your broadband order should complete on 14th Feb 2014 - After 12pm."
In all honesty, I don't care whether the switch takes place tomorrow or Friday. I just pray Sky wont be able to screw that up as well.
My real question is, is the 12PM referring to midnight when the exchange resets, or at Midday on Friday? It would be nice to just wake up on Friday morning, plug the router in, and b*gger off to work.
This is one of these things that always confused me. We were taught at school that 12PM was noon, but my digital watch says 12PM is midnight. I prefer the 24hr clock.
17 REPLIES 17
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: What time is midnight?

12pm is noon, since 12:01pm is 1 minute after noon.
I had no problems switching from Sky, so you should be OK.
Cheers
Howard
NedLudd
Grafter

Does your digi watch also change the date at noon? Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As has been stated a number of times before they should use the 24 hour clock to avoid confusion.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

No, but is says 12:00AM the 12:01PM.
Weird or what?
Quote from: Howard
12pm is noon, since 12:01pm is 1 minute after noon.

So I should take it that the order tracker is correct, and the Member Centre page is incorrect?
Like I said, I don't care which is correct, it would be nice to know for absolute certain as I am out at work all day and the family wont touch anything so will be without t'internets until I get home.
Quote from: Howard
I had no problems switching from Sky, so you should be OK.
I don't doubt everything at the PlusNet end will go according to plan. After the shambles I've suffered with Sky since joining in December though, I just don't trust them not to screw things up.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tazmaniandevil,
I've just had a look into your account and I can only apologise for any confusion regarding the notification you received stating that your broadband is due to activate on 14/02/2014. I've had a look into your account and I can confirm that you are due to transfer over on 20/02/2014. The internal engineers visit will not be required as this work can be completed externally. Once the engineer has completed the work you should be able to get connected.
Again, apologies for any confusion this has created.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Ohhh dear....! And there I was bigging PlusNet up to anyone who would listen. tsk, tsk, tsk....... Wink
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

The original e-mail I got said this would be an afternoon call.
I have placed the simultaneous phone and fibre order for you and booked the appointment for 20/02/2014 between 1PM and 6PM.

I assume the Member Centre page and the order tracker are both completely wrong then?
Once your phone service has switched, your fibre broadband service will be switched on one of the dates you've chosen:
2014/02/28 PM
2014/03/03 PM
2014/02/27 PM
If your preferred appointment date isn't available we'll call you within a week to make alternative arrangements.

None of these is the 20th.........
Now I'm even more confused.
Could someone please give me definitive details of what will happen and when?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Sorry for any confusion.
My colleague selected the earliest available appointment date when they placed the order. This happened to be the 20th as this was the earliest we would be able to bring your phone over to us. If you would like us to try changing this to either the 27th, 28th, or 3rd then I can check on that for you? Unfortunately I can't make this happen for you any sooner than the 20th as it is an Ofcom ruling that we allow the losing provider 10 working days notice from when we submit the order.
When we place the Fibre order we are required to select an appointment slot. After our suppliers have ran all their necessary checks they may find that the internal appointment isn't necessarily required (like in your instance). This is when they have identified that you've had the BT modem installed previously.
I hope this clears it up for you and let me know if we can be of any further assistance.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

20th is fine. As long as I know where I stand. I was gearing up for the end of the month in any case, but was delighted when the date of the 13th or 14th came up.
It may be worthwhile looking at other orders though to see whether anyone else has been given incorrect information. Just in case. Could save any embarrassment, or angry customers.  Wink
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's fine. I'll leave it for the 20th as you've requested.
Yeah, we're aware of the issue and we are working on fixing this as it is a system problem. When we're placing orders this should be manually changed on the order, however, due to human error this had been overlooked when placing your order. I've fed this back accordingly so that the agent is made aware for the future.
Thank you for your co-operation and feedback.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Don't be too harsh. I think that having seen the horror story of my last provider experience, the agent was probably just trying to move things along as quickly as possible. For that I am extremely grateful. There's no harm done.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Just checked my home e-mail and found this:
Your broadband service is nearly ready. A BT engineer will be visiting your home to install Plusnet Fibre today. Please don't set up your router until the engineer has visited as you won't be able to get online until then.

and this is what I see in the member centre:
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As per my reply to your PM it's definitely due on the 20th so the notification about the connection being active today isn't correct so sorry again for any confusion.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Well, surprise! 6PM has come & gone and no PlusNet switch. After the original screw-up with the dates and 2 members of the Digital Care team reassuring me that everything would go ahead as agreed on February 20th, I really thought PlusNet would be making sure there would be no hitch.
As my old Granny was fond of saying, "You know what thought did."
Very, very disappointed. After all the hassle I had with Sky this has really knocked my confidence in PlusNet's ability to deliver. Currently "hanging on the telephone" waiting to hear what the excuses are.