cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What time is midnight?

tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Re: What time is midnight?

Oh! A delay was reported 2 hours ago, and the provisioning(?) team buggered off home a half hour before the 6PM deadline.
They have my landline & mobile numbers, and my e-mail address. No-one thought to contact me?
I agreed to make this switch on the condition everything would go ahead at the time specified, and have a guarantee in the form of my chat transcript that there would be no delays.
Bad show PlusNet.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

I'm still blaming Sky for this. Sky told me BTOpenreach finish at 5PM
t'Interwebs fell over at 10PM. Plugged in my Plusnet router and everything sprung to life.
So, other than being 4 hours late, PlusNet delivered when they said they would (ish).
Petard
Rising Star

It's an amusing question, one to keep in mind for the next time the conversation stalls in the pub or the landlord calls 'time'. The answer, I believe, is that 12 p.m. cannot be noon, since p.m. means 'post meridiem', i.e. 'after midday', and if it's after midday, it can't be midday. The same applies to 12 a.m., 'ante meridiem'; it can't mean noon, either. '12 p.m.' is meaningless – unless both it and '12 a.m.' mean midnight, which is indeed 12 o'clock and both before and after midday. Happily, being clear is simple – just write 'noon' or 'midnight' or use the 24-hour clock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Confusion_at_noon_and_midnight
Edit: logic re 12 a.m. corrected.