cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the chances...?

AncientBrit

What's the chances...?

... of having a PN proper Homepage, you know, general news as well as PN news.  Dare I mention like with TalkTalk (Ouch!) or BT with Yahoo, and many others... Wink
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: What's the chances...?

Welcome to the forum AncientBrit Smiley
As one ancient brit to another it's an ISP not a newspaper Wink but seriously what about the community page here http://community.plus.net/?source=header_home
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Nice try Strat but that's like watching paint dry!
The simple anser is to set your homepage to something you like (and not feel constrained by your ISP).
Pages such as bbc.co.uk and uk.yahoo.com are fine examples of what's available to anyone, ISP homepages are completely unnecessary, the 'net can offer everyone something to suit their preference (and if you DO really like http://community.plus.net/?source=header_home then feel free to set that).
I think my main point is that the ISPs job is to provide a decent internet connection: news, current affairs etc. is best left to others.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We used to have a BBC news feed several years ago but found that it didn't really add much to the homepage. As w23 suggests, just set your homepage to something you like to see (personally I use Chrome and have it set to show my most popular sites when I open a blank tab).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've never really got "portal homepages".  But... a lot of people over the years have used them.  I think we all suffer with being that little too internet savvy to appreciate just how useful they are.
I'm now wondering what a Plusnet Portal should actually be.  Should the community site be more tightly integrated into our portal, so you've one place to go to administer your account, check our service status, search our home pages and interact with our other customers?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have two default tabs...PN forum and Google.......but I'm boring.
This one looks interesting http://www.watching-grass-grow.com/
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
AncientBrit

Why I mentioned this in the first place was due to my long history on the web.  I came online shortly after the WWW was made public (I'm 75) and go back to the days when one had a black screen and wrote in DOS.  Before that I had a word processor machine using small so called, floppy discs. I also created my own website as a writer and later, cartoonist.  I also sort other folks software problems from time to time.
So with all the isp's I had experienced I made use of their Homepages.  It was handy when switching on to go first to the homepage that was a brief summary of what was relevant that day, then move off from there.  Several were able to be edited so one saw local and national news summaries, weather and isp news all on one page or two.
I currently use a Chromebook as my prime machine and an older Sony Vaio when I feel like using it, together with a Logitech N700 Lapdesk.  I've used various flavours of Linux but returned the Vaio back to Windows 7 in case I decide to pass that machine on - to someone who would be puzzled by Linux!
At the moment I use Gmail and the Mail Online (Daily Mail) to come on at bootup.  So my initial comment was not out of ignorance, just preference.