cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of people do open reach employ

warbleeder
Grafter

What kind of people do open reach employ

so yesterday i call BT HO to try and find out if/when FTTP will be available on my exchange ..... and i get given a number for openreach and told ifg i ing that number they will tell me...
so i call openreach .... guy cant understand a word i say and i can barly make out anything he says ... anyways he finally takes my postcode and tells me fiber is enabled on my exchannge .... but according to PN FTTP isnt.... (fair doose not gonna argu)
anyways i said are you sure its FTTP he said yes fiber is available on royston exchange and you can call bt broadband to comfirm this so he gave me the phone number and i went to call ... i dial the number hit the green button and get CHILD LINE???
since when the h e ll would childline know if / when FTTP is coming to royston?
why is it so hard to find out if theres a expected date or not?
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: What kind of people do open reach employ

Which Royston exchange is this? Is it one of these?
EARST ROYSTON, HERTFORDSHIRE FTTC Now North Hertfordshire District
SLRY ROYSTON, SOUTH YORKSHIRE FTTC Now Barnsley District (B)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm sorry for how Openreach have given you incorrect information upon contacting them.
I've had a look on the Availability Checker and on our Internal Systems but can't see any details on FTTP becoming available to you at all. I'd keep an on the BT Availability Checker as this is updated pretty frequently.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ tell you anything useful?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
warbleeder
Grafter

SLRY ROYSTON, SOUTH YORKSHIRE FTTC Now Barnsley District (B)
and FTTP not going to be avail? whos above BT ... and not some stupid onbusman.... 20 meg on fiber is a joke ... if i downgrade to ADSL its going to be even slower
Im paying BT money just to run me around in hoops when i try to find out any info.... PN are part of BT and i think its completely stupid that u cant have access to info that BT have
when i call BT broadband i get fobbed off with (you are not a BT customer so we can not help or give you any info).
correct me if im wrong BUT BT own most of the shares in plusnet correct?
answer been yes..... then most of my money gose to BT there for legally speaking i AM a BT customer
warbleeder
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Does http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ tell you anything useful?

Exchange Name: ROYSTON
so dose this mean its apprently accepting FTTP?
if not... 20 meg classed as superfast?
warbleeder
Grafter

nope just downloaded PDF and its only FTTC
warbleeder
Grafter

it dont matter ill just comtact the onbusman maybe they can grab the info for me instead of me getting the run around....
20 meg (line speed) is not super fast
its 2.5 meg download speed (if im lucky)
contacting places for info and just getting the book tossed around is not good
the reason why my speed is so slow is because the people who planned for the cabinets for BT must have been dropped on their heads at birth.... because cabinet 14 (one im connected to) is a 15 minute walk away from my house and there is no reason for it to be that far when the steet next to mine is a main road
AndyH
Grafter

Can you put your number in here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the speed estimates?
warbleeder
Grafter

High Low High        Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)       23.8 17.2 4.6         2.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 19.6 9.6         4.3         0.8 -- Available
AndyH
Grafter

FTTC is one of the types of NGA (Next Generation Access).
Unfortunately, you must live a fair distance from your cabinet which is why the speed estimates are not as high as you would like. In terms of FTTP - this won't be provisioned in your area because you already have access to FTTC. You can complain to OFCOM/Openreach about this, but you won't get very far. The cost of rolling out fibre is very high and it is just not possible for Openreach to offer everyone the fastest speeds.
There are new technologies emerging all the time and being trialled, so it may be in a few years that you can get significantly faster speeds. There is also the possibility of FTTPoD in the near future for you, but the costs with this are going to be in the thousands.
warbleeder
Grafter

to be fair tho andyy... these are advertised as super fast speeds.... 20 meg is a tad above adsl......
so maybe they wouldnt be interested in my complaint but false advertising might not go amiss?
just a scape above adsl is not super fast..... despite the excuses any I.S.P try to come up with
and i know im about 3/4 of a mile from my cabinet.... best thing is my exchange is 1mile away... if that..... my street is not a new build.... its a very old street so .... whats bts half butt excuse for not rolling out a cabinet closer to me?
and the cost is a load of junk.... fiber is not that exspensive anymore .... and people will pay all bt give a hoot about is profit they dont and never have cared about their customers
to be honest if vigin was offered in my area i would have more than likly changed.... just for the fact of speed but sadly this is not the case (as it stands at the moment) so i stay with PN