cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this device and what is wrong with it???

bubbalicious
Grafter

What is this device and what is wrong with it???

I'm worrying and was hoping someone could help explain to me what the following means and what i need to do about it please? Crazy
I was using Device Manager to update a driver on a graphics pad and noticed I had an exclamation mark next to one of the Devices, it being:-
                Portable Devices
                                Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver  (this is the item that has the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle showing)
when I click onn it to get the properties showing, I see the following:-
===================
Device Type:  Portabel Devices
Manunfacturer:  (WPD file system device)

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
====================
I understand updatng Drivers etc, but haven't got a clue what this device is so I am a little paranoid not knowing what it is I might doing something wrong if I just jump in and update the driver? My Graphics Pad isn't working and why I was looking to update its driver, but from my little bit of knowledge I don't think it is the device showing the problem, but then again I may be wrong
Thanks for your help,
I am using Vista home premium on a Vaio Laptop!
1 REPLY 1
samuria
Grafter

Re: What is this device and what is wrong with it???

WPD stands for Windows Portable Device. It's the driver that allows you to treat your CF and MS cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing. It is also required for ReadyBoost to work.
If you need it you can get the drivers from
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/59229