cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best router for fibre?

Marko2020

What is the best router for fibre?

I was using the draytek 2750n but found the speed was only going to 20mb.
Can anyone recommend me a good router please for fibre?
9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: What is the best router for fibre?

What is your fibre speed?
Wired or Wi-Fi?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Marko2020

My fibre speed is usually 50mb and with the plusnet one router it gives me that. I'm on the 76mb bundle
I'm always hard wired into the router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

assuming you want an all in one box this gives the list and you need to look at what your requirements are http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
I use a Billion 8800NL and it does everything I want
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

broadband buyer are also selling the billion 8900 units which are the newest router hardware which are more "for business / advanced user" than the 8800nl and as such has a few more features, they do a few different versions but they are more pricy.
it would be worthwhile looking up your exchange to see what chipset the dslam is running and buy a compatible unit from the list
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Marko2020

How do I check to see what chip they are using?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As you are on fibre it is of absolutely no relevance and can be ignored
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Marko2020
How do I check to see what chip they are using?

well I was under the impression the plusnet one router needed  a separate modem to connect to fibre where the draytek 2750 is vdsl capable so doesn't need the modem,
the Huawei modem uses the same chipset as the draytek (older Broadcom) the ECI modem uses the Infineon chipset, so unless my info on the plusnet one router is out the type of modem used might be the answer here/
newer Broadcom based vdsl routers should work better than older ones but having said that if the dslam is Infineon based then it would give a higher sync speed if the router was also Infineon based (black street cab = eci /Infineon, green = Huawei/Broadcom) which has been mentioned time and again as having an impact on fibre products on the interwebz, most notably the difference between home hub5 type A or type B being the chipset is either Infineon (A) or Broadcom (B) and is linked to the cabinet /exchange hardware in the local area.
sure the difference was often much more pronounced on adsl connections but it still exists to a degree on the fibre side of things as well (sync speed/stability often being sighted as differing greatly) despite the official stance there is no difference/
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: nanotm
well I was under the impression the plusnet one router needed  a separate modem to connect to fibre where the draytek 2750 is vdsl capable so doesn't need the modem,
If you had actually bother checking you would have found that it doesn't need a modem
Where is your evidence that you get a higher sync speed matching the cab to the modem
Also if you had bothered to check the ECL cab uses a Lantiq chipset not Infineon as does the ECL modem
nanotm
Pro

well as people constantly tell me reports posted are unscientific and thus anecdotal and are thus not "proof" regardless of the numbers making the same claims......
I did bother to check, plenty of places say eci = Infineon =iftn a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm explains how to ask your router to tell you which sort you've got, I notice that in another area of the same site there referred to as lantiq, perhaps becsue Infineon separated out its chipset division as lantiq in 2009 before it was bought by intel in 2015, so that would make us both correct..... wonder if they will stat reporting as intel in the next generation (if BT keep installing their substandard gear that is) or perhaps the branding wil change to intel will push the price up too high and haweii will have the full market here in the UK /