Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best DVD R

dgreen007
Grafter

What is the best DVD R

Hi,
I need to transfer home video from a JVC Everio camcorder onto DVD.
I want to make sure that the DVDs I burn to are of the highest quality as the video will be of my family etc and i want to be able to keep these memories forever.
Can anyone please recommend DVD R which will withstand the test of time.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
community
Grafter

Re: What is the best DVD R

I believe nearly all dvd blanks are of top quality....it's the dvd readers or players whose efficiency can vary.
I understand your attention to family information and its likelihood of being retained for many years, as I also commit my family tree and info to dvd, but I am sure that before my future families come to read about their past in my dvd's , some new system will have been available for a long time.  Smiley
cheers
Eddie Johnson
paulh
Rising Star

Quote from: community
I believe nearly all dvd blanks are of top quality....

i'm not sure that's at all true.
@dgreen001 -- Try googling "archive quality dvd"  ; Eddie's other point though does arise ... for how long are the equipment for playing dvds going to be around? There's already plenty of people with data on unreadable formats which were fine just 10 years ago. The chances of being able to read a dvd in 100 years time I would guess are slim to vanishing
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The BBC spent a lot of time and money on the "Doomsday Project" on large size dvd type discs, they now have the discs but no way of reading them. the same applies to the V2000 type of video and Betamax, readers no longer made, and how much longer will we be able to read ordinary Video tapes.  and the two type of "BlueRay discs, one has gone already
zubel
Community Veteran

My dad still has two Betamax players - one is wired up to his fancy 32" flat screen!  Shocked
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I always use discs based on taiyo yuden  dye which is recognised as one of the best.
You can buy them from here in various prices and quantities http://svp.co.uk/searchresults.php?sSrch=taiyo+yuden+dvd-r&Submit.x=30&Submit.y=12&Submit=Search
However no DVD is 100% guaranteed so the recommendation is to burn on a number of different disk types and store them carefully in a good lightproof container.
The other thing I would recommend is backing up onto a different medium as well.
In my case - 2 different hard drives
StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: dgreen007
Can anyone please recommend DVD R which will withstand the test of time.

Depends how you mean by "Withstand the test of time." I remember watching "Tomorrows World" when they introduced us to the CD. They threw it on the floor and walked on it and it still played. I've got CDs that were bought not even 10 years ago that won't play any more.
I think it will be an impossible task, because, as some of the guys have already stated, technology is changing at an alarming rate. I believe they are already working on a replacement for Blu-Ray.
But if you're just looking for good quality DVD-R's then I think it's a bit of a hit and miss affair as companies don't source their disks from the same manufacturer all the time.
dgreen007
Grafter

Excellent point s by all.
I think the only way around this is to have multiple back ups (perhaps even on Betamax just in case it comes back one day  :-[)
Talking of Betamax, I have dozens of betamax tapes but no player, I would love to be able to transfer it to another media.
Perhaps someone knows where I could get one or even borrow 🙂
Thanks all to the advice and tips
Cheers
dgreen007
Grafter

Just one other point.
I just checked the spec of the DVD writer to see what speed discs I should by but it is a bit confusing.
Can any one shed some light as to what speed I should buy.
Link below gives spec.
http://www0.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony-Sony-DWU14A-DVD-RW-RW-Drive-Bulk
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63