Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "Peer to Peer" traffic?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What is "Peer to Peer" traffic?

I have just been having a look at "my usage"..... and see that I have been using "Peer to Peer"    =  1.05 mb in Peak time, and 70.19 KB in Off Peak time.....
problem is.... I don`t know what Peer to Peer is....  can someone explain please......
Oh and by the way..... Apparently I have been doing FTP (non plusnet) stuff too...... =  1.04KB Peak time, and 0.72 kb Off peak time.....
as I understand it, FTP is when you upload or download to your website..... well, I haven`t done any of that since before November last year..... so what is that (non plusnet) stuff? I certainly don`t FTP to anyone else....
9 REPLIES 9
Mand
Grafter

Re: What is "Peer to Peer" traffic?

Peer to Peer is used for filesharing (anything from linux distros to music files).
FTP is uploading/downloading from webspace.
It could be that that traffic was misidentified, the Ellacoya's can't be 100% accurate and will identify based on protocol and port number).
Those numbers are very very small, so I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the reply, Mand..... by the way,...... can you explain why I have got this on my usage too?
Broadband phonecalls  peak  16.52KB      off peak  4.83KB          total 21.36KB
Especially as I do not use the internet for phone calls.....haven`t got a voip phone, and don`t know how to use one ..... !
Mand
Grafter

For the same reason as you've got the other stuff I explained above. Wink
Again, they are miniscule amounts so I wouldn't worry about it.
shutter
Community Veteran

not particularly "worried" about it.....
it just seems strange, that you have this system of analysing my usage. and I haven`t been doing any of those things.....
If I get a letter from ACS law saying I have been using "peer to peer" and illegal filesharing..... then I cannot deny it..... as your system is proving otherwise....
That is what I am worried about......
zubel
Community Veteran

The Plusnet usage meter would not be admissable as evidence anyway, as it's not 100% accurate.
A bit like the begging letters from ACS:Law and Davenport Lyons.
B.
shutter
Community Veteran

Oh good..... so I can  R. I. P. then......  Wink
WildRose52
Grafter

Shutter,
Are you using a Wireless connection?
If so, just wondering if there is any chance that someone else is stealing your connection?
This can happen (so I`m told) just by someone sitting in a car outside someone`s house, with their PC
and using it, or even from a neighbour  (cheeky yes, but it does happen)
If you are using Wireless, then have you been into the router settings and secured your connection?
I`m no expert in this department but I was warned about it, and I opted to connect to the internet using
an ethernet cable.
I`m sure there will be others on here who can offer you more advice, or maybe try the Router forum.
Hope this helps. 
Moominfish
Grafter

Rose,
It looks like the amounts are so small it's highly unlikely (even if Shutter was on a wireless connection) that someone would download such a miniscule amount.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I am on wireless connection, and yes I have got the security set up properly.... so no problem about "hangers on ". !