cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is it with Windows Updates

zedingrove
Grafter

What is it with Windows Updates

For the last couple years I have restrained my self from windows updates...
But earlier I gave in! Now that I have a fair speed BB
45 mins later after d/l and install restarted pc everything loaded...
Window pops up informing me of 2 critical windows updates, thought WT?
D/l installed 20 mins restart....
Oi Bill Gates you having a bubble? Yet another critical update for windows!!!!
WT? is going on..... Angry
12 REPLIES 12
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: What is it with Windows Updates

What Is going on Is that you failed to keep your OS up to date, And Microsoft released a further 9 patches today.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Also, some updates need another already installed (which may require a reboot) before they can be applied.
If you clean install Windows (most older versions) without service packs you may require several update/restart cycles before you're fully patched - not necessarily a 'fault' in Windows,just the way it works with years of incremental updates (though the 'service packs' do cut it down a fair bit).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
IanSn
Rising Star

45 mins? Pah! Nothing!
I did an update on an old Vista machine last week. Set it going around 10 pm...................... midnight.........
.....3 am  ...................... went to bed around here somewhere, couldn't keep me eyes open any longer....
7 am, still going - though the download was finished and was on the install stage.
Forget what time it was all done.
Mind you, the last time it had an update was 2008, so...
edit - oh yes, my speed is pretty good here. between 15 - 17mb
zedingrove
Grafter

Quote from: IanSn
edit - oh yes, my speed is pretty good here. between 15 - 17mb

I am sure that the guide lines as to what one can post with regards to Personal Attacks and your boast of lightening speeds
is some what similar to playground bullying. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think that was supposed to be a joke, but I didn't find it funny  Huh
Edit: just to be clear, I was referring to reply #4
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Re Windows updates.....had to renstall the operating system from CD on a computer less than a year old to get rid of malware & a trojan horse, all done.

Go online and widows automatically started downloading some updates about 40Mb....which was ok.
This morning Microsoft notified us we need a 300Mb (122 files) update for Windows...gulp....that was downloaded took just over an hour.
After a few minutes we were informed 2 more updates were required (3Mb)...downloaded them and switched off computer.

Switching the computer later Microsoft informed us we needed another 200Mb of Windows updates....and we haven't reinstalled Office yet!!
IanSn
Rising Star

Apologies to any people who thought there was some kind of attack, or found my MS anecdote unamusing.
Or indeed that there was a 'boast' (??? the speed has nothing to do with me, I'm just lucky). It was simply to say that even at this speed the update took all night....
I'll tip-toe more carefully around here in future...
Bizarre!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's possible to download individual updates separately, so you can keep the large service packs or anything else of significant size, then you won't have to download them over and over again, and can install them on multiple computers.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@IanSn,  I assumed the main reason it took so long was simply becasue it was Vista!  Grin
Nothing wrong with pointing out that your D/L speed was not likely the cause of it taking so long!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
IanSn
Rising Star

Oh yes, it was Vista alright. That was the joke - I actually sat and waited for it for about 3 hours! Dear thing was still slogging away when I woke up the next day...
Sounds like I was lucky there actually - it did it all in one go. And it still worked okay afterwards  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@IanSn
Just to be clear, I've edited my reply #5  Wink
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Having spent hours tweaking away at a friend's Vista PC it persisted in thrashing away every time it was switched on - if any sort of update was involved sometimes it was an hour before it could be persuaded to actually "do" anything!  Shocked
Doubling the RAM from 1 to 2 GB made a huge difference at a cost of about 12 quid (OK, still rubbish but only half as rubbish as it was before!)