Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Windows?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

What is Windows?

My 9 year old Grandson has a laptop running Windows 8.1 which he is happy with.
The other day he spotted the Windows 10 upgrade icon and asked what it was.
I made the mistake of telling him it was a free upgrade to Windows 10 to which he replied with the question "what is Windows 10".
This led to "what is Windows" and "what is an operating system"
My every attempt at explaining led into technicalities and we both quickly gave up.
How do you explain to an intelligent 9 year old what an OS is....and keep it engaging Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: What is Windows?

Examples of popular modern operating systems include Android, BlackBerry 10, BSD, Chrome OS, iOS, Linux, OS X, QNX, Microsoft Windows,[3] Windows Phone, and z/OS. The first eight of these examples share roots in UNIX.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I don't think he's quite ready for that Foxy Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Some people would answer the question of "What is Windows?" with this:
"Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition."
I'd just say, look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows
Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Unless its X-Windows, common on UNIX-like computer operating systems.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It's like the engine that runs your car. Without an engine, you aren't going anywhere  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

An operating system is a set of instructions that tells the computer/engine how to work.  Once you have the basics of an operating system then you can write computer programs that tell the computer how to perform specific tasks.  Windows is the operating system made by a company called Microsoft (and it actually comes with a large number of programs thrown-in).  You could, if you wanted, take the same hardware device and give it a different operating system (Linux, for example) in which case you would need a completely different set of computer programs to run on it.