cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is PCI Express and how do i know if ive got it ?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: What is PCI Express and how do i know if ive got it ?

Agreed - I have had AMD for years and have been very happy but they just can't compete with the core 2 duo
fakesnake
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
I can never understand why people choose Intel over AMD.
There is a considerable cost differential.
Is there any special reason for choosing Intel?

these days if you want a good gaming pc intel is the best choice, they may cost a bit more but are a lot faster. a complete reversal of a couple years ago.
i bougt a q6600 quad core 2.4mhz got it straight up to 3.6mhz
a 50% overclock for no extra cost at all.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can never understand why people choose Intel over AMD.
There is a considerable cost differential.
Is there any special reason for choosing Intel?

I was exactly the same way, AMD used to rule. Then Intel gave their main processor development over to the team who did the PIIIM and all of a sudden they started consuming less power, running cooler, and being incredibly overclockable.
Plus, AMD are killing themselves very very very quickly at the moment... you can believe it or not, but Ed at http://overclockers.com blatantly knows his stuff and his evidence is very good. Check some of the articles on the main page and see if you still fancy AMD as a winner. I give them a year at best tbh.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I can see that AMD are perhaps a poor prospect for a stock market investor.
It still looks like AMD is faster, provided I'm not going for the latest and greatest CPU - the cost for that last 5% in performance is really not worth it. I certainly wouldn't consider significant overclocking.
At the moment, the cost of AMD in terms of performance/£ still beats Intel (for the moment).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

The_10th
Grafter

This link is very interesting @orbrey! Who would have thought it? But then Intel have been winning the performance stakes for most of the year I guess and prices haven't been too bad considering.
I would like the Q6600 as had my eye on it for several months but santa didn't bring one last year  Sad
MightyMouse
Grafter

I'm not up on computers, buit this thread has just reminded me of what one chap said to me a few years ago when he  repaired my machine .
He said " there are 2 types of computer, ......Prototype & obsolete, but then they are only obsolete to you  if they won't do what you want them to"