cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What hardware do I need? ( and may be software?)

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

What hardware do I need? ( and may be software?)

My computer is upstairs. My modem router is Thomson 585 v7, They are connected by Ethernet and hard wired extension
Downstairs is my TV and Humax Foxsat PVR. PVR has Ethernet port to receive IPlayer.
No way do I want cable running everywhere, so how do I connect my computer to the PVR?  What more than I have npw will be needed?
All comments will be graciously received :).
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: What hardware do I need? ( and may be software?)

Have a look at homeplugs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

And hope you don`t live close to a Radio Amateur  Undecided
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Other than Homeplugs, which seem controversial?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My TV has an Ethernet port and can also take a USB wireless adaptor but it has to be a special adaptor sold by the TV manufacturer at two or three times the price of a normal one.  I have occasionally used a long Ethernet cable but would be inclined to try Home Plugs if I wanted something more permanent.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

What about a Wireless AP that's capable of operating in bridge mode ? connect that with a short network cable to the PVR and then wireless to the TG585.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrT
Grafter

I have been using an Edimax EW-7209APg http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=19&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=5 in Station Mode to connect my Foxsat PVR to my Thomson TG585v7. My download speed is only 3Mbps but I get a really good picture on iPlayer.
Edit: The EW-7209APg has been discontinued but you could try the EW-7228APn which will do the same thing. It's available on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7228APN-150mbps-Extender-5-Port/dp/B004JV42A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q... for about £24.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The TP-Link TL-WA701ND linked on that Amazon page should also work and since its 802.11n its slightly more future proofed.

MrT
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
The TP-Link TL-WA701ND linked on that Amazon page should also work and since its 802.11n its slightly more future proofed.

The Edimax EW-7228APn is also 802.11n so it's buyers preference.  Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Oops, sorry 'bout that, must read things more carefully.
edit: In that case I'd probably go for the EdiMax as their manuals are usually better than the Tplink ones.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Post deleted (wrong thread )
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

and I refer you to reply number 2 above...  Roll_eyes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does powerline networking nuke radio hams?
the HomePlug Alliance (the industry body that defines the HomePlug specifications and certifies the various devices) had worked with the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), which is essentially the US counterpart of the UK’s RSGB, to “notch out” the most commonly used ham radio bands from the HomePlug spec.