Did you mean: 

What happens after VoIP

FIXED
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: What happens after VoIP

@VileReynard wrote:
Is there a Voip standard, in the same way as their is a Telephone standard?

There sure is!   Try this for a quick (well relatively quick Grin)  tutorial:  tutorial/Learning-guide-VoIP-protocols-and-standards

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Thats a lot of (mostly) local protocols.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@shutter wrote:

@Baldrick1

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@VileReynard

Are you aware that the plan is to put us all on IP phones by 2025? https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/bts-plans-to-switch-off-analogue-phone-network-gather-momentum

Yeah, alright..... and do you remember,... we would all be working in "paperless offices".... and using our own flying cars to get to and from... and ... oh so many other projects... wasn`t there something about a "cashless society" too  ? ? ?  Smart meter  ?  No chance.. I am just as smart, and I can read a meter too ! ! !...

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm as skeptical as you. However it appears that Openreach are openly discussing it https://news.openreach.co.uk/pressreleases/openreach-to-consult-communication-provider-customers-on-...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero

Openreach, which provides voice and broadband infrastructure to more than 32 million homes and businesses, and supports more than 600 CPs across Britain, made the announcement after parent company BT signalled plans to migrate all customers from its traditional analogue phone network (the PSTN) to new digital, internet based (all IP) services by 2025.

The consultation, which will run until 27 July 2018, will also seek feedback on a new transitional product - known as the Single Order Transitional Access Product (SOTAP) - which will enable consumers and businesses that are currently connected via traditional copper lines to order a pure broadband service which doesn’t rely on the analogue PSTN platform. CPs will in turn be able to supply a digital voice service over the top.

Don't make me laugh. Funny

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Baldrick1 wrote:
First there's all the hardware in the exchanges that will no longer need to be maintained. Then as I understand how fibre works the street cabinets are connected by fibre back to a head end, which might not be located in the local exchange. Maybe this will make many exchanges redundant, These could then be turned into a nice little earner for BT by flogging them off.

BT flogged off its exchanges,(with the exception of the small rural exchanges, that are a little more than sheds) and much of its other property around the turn of the Millennium as part of its debt reduction plans of the time, to a property developer and agreed to lease them back for 30 odd years.

So there's no money to be made, just savings in leasing  fees once they expire.

Baldrick1

We have little more than a shed in a prime position in our rural village that would become a very attractive building plot.

Moderator and Customer

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Our little 200 line (Max) rural exchange would just about take a 1930's Austin 7!

Hopefully going to be replaced by FTTP with SOGEA  during 2019.  No firm dates yet though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

I hope BT have factored in the cost of replacing my modem, router & 4 handsets.

Actually, copper has proved to be quite long lasting.

How long does fibre survive in difficult street conditions - I doubt anyone knows.

Baldrick1

I understand that converters are available that convert analogue phones to digital, whether or not they will cost less than a new phone is a moot point. I assume that BT will be as keen to pay for all your new phones as the government will be to replace all your FM radios when radio transmissions become solely DAB. http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/dab-digital-radio-switchover-fm-uk-11364137002537

Moderator and Customer

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Baldrick1

The ears are great.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Weren't the last few 405-line TV sets replaced free of charge before the signal was switched off?  I'm not quite old enough to speak from personal experience, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

VileReynard
Hero

I know that dual-capability sets were sold for many years.

405/625 line were separate signals which were broadcast on VHF/UHF bands (and needed different aerials).

I think the changeover period lasted about 20 years, because the range of UHF transmitters was inferior to the VHF ones, with full switchover being achieved in approx 1985.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I recall being able to receive/watch some Irish 625-line TV channels on VHF (Band III) back in the 1980's.  I used a Band III Yagi aerial which was approximately 3m long, something like this but a bit longer.

Reception varied according to atmospheric and weather conditions.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@MauriceC wrote:

Hopefully going to be replaced by FTTP with SOGEA  during 2019.  No firm dates yet though.

FTTP and SOGEA are two completely different access products. You are provisioned on one or the other, not both.

@VileReynard wrote:

I hope BT have factored in the cost of replacing my modem, router & 4 handsets.

Why would your modem need replacing? There's no proposal to change the DSL layer. It's also possible to use analogue handsets over IP with an ATA, either integrated with the modem/router, or standalone. I suspect in most cases that if you want to use voice, you'll be left with either using the ISP's kit, or plumping for your own VoIP solution/associated hardware.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VileReynard
Hero

So I get a digital service which requires a modem?