Did you mean: 

What happens after VoIP

FIXED
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What happens after VoIP

Hi Guys,

I am being plastered with VoIP offers and advertisements, so I am wondering how will I keep my connection to Internet once the land lines become defunct?  Any thoughts would be most welcome, even though I am not tempted at the moment.

Best regards,

Alex

30 REPLIES 30
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: What happens after VoIP

FTTP seems the obvious answer here.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Alex_Hamilton

You require a land line for ADSL - whether or not you use the phone.

Brian

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I think it’s definitely worth noting that if you port your landline telephone number to VoIP, unless you have FTTP, your broadband connection will cease as well as the phone line and account will ultimately close automatically.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

VOIP would be useless if you had a power cut - but a landline (connected to a non-digital phone) would be fine.

I wouldn't rely on a mobile for a wide area blackout either.

Sometimes you need to call the emergency services - possibly because of the cause of blackout...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@VileReynard

Are you aware that the plan is to put us all on IP phones by 2025? https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/bts-plans-to-switch-off-analogue-phone-network-gather-momentum

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero

Have they finished providing internet capability to every dwelling in the land yet?

I can't see that there is any saving in cost for BT - they still have to provide a piece of wire or fibre to each house.

Is this idea from the same source as "smart meters"?

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thank you for the information Baldrick1 and the others. I know that ADSL will not work without a land line and my question was "what are the alternatives and what is Plusnet going to provide instead" and how soon.  2025 looks far away, but my fear is that the land lines will be discontinued as more people switch to VoIP.  I take it that as far as Internet service is concerned, going over to Fibre will work after the land lines are cut.  As for calling emergency services during power cuts, surely mobile networks will continue to work.

Thanks again,

Alex

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix
Hi Alex.
Addressing your question to us, I’m afraid we’ve no news to share regarding any new products we may or may not have in the pipeline, but we’ve no plans I’m aware of to discontinue your landline phone.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@VileReynard wrote:

Have they finished providing internet capability to every dwelling in the land yet?

My guess is that due to the very low bandwidth required for voice it's not a problem. From memory Skype worked back in the dial up days, though I could be wrong.

I can't see that there is any saving in cost for BT - they still have to provide a piece of wire or fibre to each house.

First there's all the hardware in the exchanges that will no longer need to be maintained. Then as I understand how fibre works the street cabinets are connected by fibre back to a head end, which might not be located in the local exchange. Maybe this will make many exchanges redundant, These could then be turned into a nice little earner for BT by flogging them off.

Is this idea from the same source as "smart meters"?

I'm sure that it won't happen unless BT can make money out of it. I suspect that it will hit the same sort of issues as the proposed switch off of FM transmitters.

Moderator and Customer

VileReynard
Hero

Does any country (no matter how backward) not currently have a landline network?

Its a great idea for non-internet users - instead of just paying BT to use a phone, they pay BT + ISP + Voip provider. Even if they only make occasional calls.

Is there a Voip standard, in the same way as their is a Telephone standard?

Non-standard Skype is plagued by dropouts and poor sound quality, so would need replacing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@VileReynard wrote:
Is there a Voip standard, in the same way as their is a Telephone standard?

@VileReynard, VoIP is a protocol if that is what you are meaning.

Baldrick1

@VileReynard wrote:

Its a great idea for non-internet users - instead of just paying BT to use a phone, they pay BT + ISP + Voip provider. Even if they only make occasional calls.

Am I missing something? As I see it, the current system transfers analogue voice and routing (number being called) data to the exchange, where it's converted to digital data that presumably includes the routing data. From here on it's all digital. Why not do the analogue to digital conversion at the consumers phone and go digital all the way? I'm sure it's not quite this simple but why would this require an ISP and VOIP provider in the loop?

Moderator and Customer

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Baldrick1

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@VileReynard

Are you aware that the plan is to put us all on IP phones by 2025? https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/bts-plans-to-switch-off-analogue-phone-network-gather-momentum

Yeah, alright..... and do you remember,... we would all be working in "paperless offices".... and using our own flying cars to get to and from... and ... oh so many other projects... wasn`t there something about a "cashless society" too  ? ? ?  Smart meter  ?  No chance.. I am just as smart, and I can read a meter too ! ! !...