Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What format should I use, please?

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What format should I use, please?

I have some music video`s that are .MP4 format.... which play on my laptop using GOM player.... ( and other players )... so I thought.. I would try and see if I could watch them on the "Big Screen".. telly... transferred a couple to a USB stick, and changed the "source" on the telly to USB... found the files listed,  but when I click on the file, it comes up with a warning notice  " Unsupported file"..

So what do I need to convert them to so that I can have them on the usb stick, and play them on my telly, please?

19 REPLIES 19
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: What format should I use, please?

EDIT - advice removed, due to the OPs clearly not wanting any from myself.

shutter
Community Veteran

What`s this? huh?   Free advice to the riff raff? WOW !... must have a conscience there, somewhere...

chenks76
All Star

there is no java involved.
but hey, i'm sure someone else will come along and help you. so i'll say [-Censored-] and leave it there.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

DaveyH
Champion

@chenks76 wrote:

so firsty, you need to know what codecs the TV supports, and which containers it supports.
only then can your original question be answered.

This ^

chenks76
All Star

@chenks76 wrote:

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

i didn't try to avoid any swear filter!

using the three letters GTF is not an attempt to avoid anything.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Once you have obtained the above information you may find Handbrake as useful tool.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav

@chenks76

According to an urban dictionary it isWink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

chenks76
All Star

it's the equivalent of saying "get it right up ye".
whether urban dictionary elaborates on the meaning i have no idea, i don't class it as gospel.

anyway, feel free to remove all my posts from this thread, as i have retracted any advice i gave as the OP is clearly a walloper (feel free to use urban dicationary for that one).

shutter
Community Veteran

So... the workshop manual for the telly says...

USB Mode/Media Player

USB mode offers playback of various different types of content that you have saved on your usb memory stick

But it does not say any more about music videos..

a usb mode pic1.jpg

Doing a bit of a google, brings up this page...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/169281/Technika-42-2020.html?page=35

( but it is not for this particular model of telly )..and probably  the latest 42 inch model.... ,.. although the name is the same...

Technika   this model number is 23-231-bb-g  ( about 2010 year) .

another usb mode pic.jpg

Whilst I admit, that thngs have "move on a bit" over the past 6 years,... I would suspect that the format would be the same for the USB input.

and it does say  "various different formats"........

Mav

@shutter

You can use MediaInfo to find out details of the music video then you can use some of that info (resolution, framerate, etc.) to recode in Handbrake probably selecting mp4 as the container with MPEG-4 from the Video Codec dropdown menu in the Video tab.

If you have several you can queue them after setting each individually then leave Handbrake to do its magic.

PS: I often use Handbrake to reduce the bitrate (often by half) to reduce the overall file size with little perceivable quality when adding to my tablet for viewing on the TV by HDMI in 1080p.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mav  Thanks for that.... I already have AnyVideoConverter , which covers quite a wide range of formats. and the original is already in .mpg4 ,...

As a "trial run".. I am currently converting it to Panasonic TV H264 Movie (*.mp4) format and see if that works....

There are other models of TV  format listed....   Samsung...... LG.... and Sony... all with the same TV H264 (*.mp4) listing against them...

Tried that .... but again... Unsupported File...

012 unsupported file.jpg

Here is the pic of the "media info screen" for the Andrea Berg video.

MEDIA INFO.jpg

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mav Thanks again for your help.... and advice.... have also downloaded and installed Handbrake !... and did the settings you suggested..

It plays on the telly, but the pic is very "blocky"... so what needs to change fo make it better, please ?

Mav

Looking at the screenshot the video resolution is 320x240. I am assuming your TV is 1080. There isn't much you can do when playing such a low res video on a large res screen.

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@Mav     Ah yes... !  ok... well thanks for the help... will have to progress from here... at least I can now get the vids on the usb stick to play on the telly.. (it`s only and 18") screen... but bigger than my laptop.. which is 15"... strange how those 3 inches can make such a difference in the video output.

Hah !... cracked it ! ! ... Using "Freemake Video Converter"... it is possible to set the output to   HD720 and MPEG2  for size 1280 x 720 ...  can go up to HD1080 so will see how things go...

many thanks.

edit edit edit edit ....

For reference..... Freemake Video Converter adds a "flash notice" advert that the video has been converted by Freemake Video Converter, at the start and end of the video...  you need to purchase the paid for version to remove, not have that....

HOWEVER.....

ATUBECATCHER   {       http://www.atube.me/     }    has a converter as part of it`s "suite"... and this does not have anything like that...  I used it to convert to MPG2  Video (VBR)   and this works perfectly... good picture quality and good sound quality...  quite quick too.. !