cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly happens during a home move?

chuckster
Grafter

What exactly happens during a home move?

Hi all, this is mainly for the PN staff on here to address as they'll know this inside out.
I'm moving house next week and am taking PlusNet with me.  I'm having a new line installed by the phone company I'm with and got the SIM code from them to pass onto PlusNet once I started the move process with them to tie phone and ADSL together.
There's been a bit of trouble with the address not showing up on PN's systems but have had a call today saying everything is done and in place (ticket 54472761 - can someone please check this to make sure that's correct as my partner works from home so this really does need to be a simultaneous provide in every sense of the word).
The reason for the question is because the phone line was booked and going in.  I'd been given the SIM code to pass to PN.  From my outsider understanding, that code should be all that's needed for the BTO engineer to sort the new line and then assign the PN asset to the line for ADSL?  I was having trouble understanding why the phone company could sort out a line and arrange an installation with a SIM code but PN couldn't assign an ADSL order to be attached to that SIM code.
Can someone explain the process through so I understand it myself?  From when you get the request, to what the BTO engineer needs to do.. am very curious about the whole thing.  Others in a similar situation might also find it interesting.  Don't put it in laymans terms either.  Smiley
Many thanks in advance.
C.
8 REPLIES 8
itsme
Grafter

Re: What exactly happens during a home move?

PN explain it here http://usergroup.plus.net/simprovideorders.php
BTO supply the SIM number.
chuckster
Grafter

Thanks very much for that, itsme.  I should've checked the PNUG!  DOH.
From that guide all should be as well as it can be.  If one of the PN staff can just confirm for me from the ticket ref above all is ok with them I'd appreciate it.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just checked the house move ticket and all seems to be in order, we now have the SIM reference and have raised an order for broadband that should become active within 48 hours of the line becoming usable.
Any further questions do give me a shout, I spent the best of 2 years working house move requests in the early days of my career at PN Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chuckster
Grafter

Thanks very much for that Adam.  To be honest, when I got the ticket update it was the 48hr bit that got me worried.  A previous time when I moved my PN was active almost the same time as the line was done.  Is it not the BTO engineer that completes both parts of the job?  I'm just trying to understand where the 48hrs comes in (even if it does seem like I'm being extremely impatient - I just want to understand)  Smiley
It's good to know though.. once everything is in the new place I'll just connect the router up to the line and see what's what.  Woohoo!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The 48 hour thing is mentioned as sim orders aren't always simultaneous, sometimes additional activities need to be carried out at the exchange before broadband can be enabled so the extra time allows for some leeway.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chuckster
Grafter

Thanks very much Adam.  Appreciated.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem, give me a shout if any problems with the move crop up, hope they don't though!
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chuckster
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Just thought I'd let you know the house move of my PlusNet service went without hitch yesterday.  The engineer arrived (from Kelly Communications), fitted a new faceplate, went of to the cabinet down the road to find his tones, came back and finished up.  Was done in about half an hour.  I plugged the phone in - all working, then the router.. woohoo, t'interweb connectivity.  Was so chuffed this was done and dusted so easily.
Hope you don't mind but I'm going to fire you a question offline concerning this, but thanks once again - all good here!
C.