cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to make my laptop connect to wireless router

bevjtaylor
Dabbler

Re: What do I need to make my laptop connect to wireless router

Right I have worked what the password is and of course now you mention it - it is on the reverse of the router (duh). I have been able to connect to the net as suggested by
1) disabling all security
2) Using WEP
So I thought right then let's set  security with WPA and set up the profile with the password (passphrase)  as I had got that wrong at the start of all this but  no it still wont do it!!
And there seems to be no difference between WPA 2-PSK(AES) or WPA-PSK(TKIP).
Cry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Read about it on Wikipedia.
You will be stupefyingly bored!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

OK, so it works with no security and with WEP - that is some progress, at least. Just confirm - have you now found out how to access the security settings in the router? It still seems most likely the router and the laptop are using different settings. Also, can you tell us the model number of the Netgear card? We can check there is nothing silly going on there, like making sure it is actually WPA capable.
bevjtaylor
Dabbler

I think I might have worked it out
on the laptop set to WPA2-PSK and the same on the router.
I had it set on the router to both WPA and WPA2. I really do hope this is the answer. And it has only taken me about 5 hours to sort it out.
Now to see if the laptop will work more than 3 feet away from the router .............
Smiley
Thanks for all help and maybe I will read about it axis but if it works don't fix it eh? And do I need to understand it anyway?Huh
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: bevjtaylor
Thanks for all help and maybe I will read about it axis but if it works don't fix it eh? And do I need to understand it anyway?Huh

Definitely Yes and No  Smiley
You just need to know:-
No security - anyone can use your router (even by accident)
WEP security - anyone can use your router (but not by accident)
Any WPA variety - fiendishly difficult / impossible for anyone to use your router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

The different flavours of WPA are different enough to trap the uninitiated, but you don't need to understand the detail differences, just know that they are different, and all devices need to be set exactly the same. Glad it seems to be working now.