cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are these programs?

pimpernel
Grafter

What are these programs?

My computer had a funny turn yesterday following a program upgrade. It seemed to boot up properly, then all the icons and the taskbar simply disappeared, leaving just the desktop image.
Eventually got computer to start and found 2 strange programs in the startup menu:
0.1505276728611964.exe
0.15069696123446985.exe
Deleted these and now seems to be working OK.
But what are these 2 programs? Antivirus did not object to their presence.
8 REPLIES 8
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: What are these programs?

What programme did you upgrade?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What directory were the files deleted from ?
pimpernel
Grafter

Upgraded from3.0 to 3.1 of utorrent, but wasn't a straightforward process, something went wrong before I succeeeded in operation.
Difficult to say which directory they were in as rather strange.
Something to do with System32, but didn't write it down.
Napalm

Quote from: pimpernel
My computer had a funny turn yesterday following a program upgrade. It seemed to boot up properly, then all the icons and the taskbar simply disappeared, leaving just the desktop image.
Eventually got computer to start and found 2 strange programs in the startup menu:
0.1505276728611964.exe
0.15069696123446985.exe

If you were downloading software via torrent, you took a massive risk. They are un known files and could be anything, from keylogger, zombie, screen logger. One things for sure, if the files weren't there in the 1st place then they have no right being on your system. Deleting these as seen on the desktop don't necessarily they are deleted completely. You should have known better than to download software especially RAR and ZIP files via a torrent. You get a nasty surprise in most of them and that's what them mysterious .EXE files are. 
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Welcome to the forum Napalm.
That's a massive assumption on your behalf. The OP actually upgraded utorrent didn't mention anything they'd download with it.
Also you assume that they are using it for copyright infringement purposes, which again may not be the case - torrent is a very handy way to get Linux distributions for example.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
kmilburn
Grafter

While some of what Napalm said may have been a wild assumption,  I'd agree with his second statement.
Quote from: Napalm
They are un known files and could be anything, from keylogger, zombie, screen logger.

I've seen several systems with files on with names lke these and similar behaviour,  and it's invariably the sign of a some malicious software.
Unfortunately, most of the anti-virus programs don't bother with these types of files as they are not viruses!
It'll be worthwile running AdAware or MalwareBytes as they are more likely to find programs like this.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This happens when explorer.exe cannot start (or re-start)
0.1505276728611964.exe
0.15069696123446985.exe

Some viruses can conceal themselves very well once established.  I recommend scanning with an antivirus boot disc to make sure you have not been infected.
pimpernel
Grafter

I'll just have to assume that my upgrading the program went wrong somewhere.
Perhaps it was a result of the need for a better computer.
Thanks for replies.