cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the risks with default keyring?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What are the risks with default keyring?

Just wondering, put evolution back on as oppose to Thunderbird. When my missus logs into her email account it asks for the default keyring password. I've found a few links to leaving it blank but that comes with risks. Never really seen what the risks are, plus I don't want the password if I create one to be the same as my login password if I can help it.
4 REPLIES 4
Waldo
Grafter

Re: What are the risks with default keyring?

I've had, in the distant past, my WPA passphrase stored in a 'Default' keyring which resulted in my having to enter the passphrase every time I logged in before I could get a wireless connection to my router (which got very annoying very quickly) - it sounds like you're suffering from something similar (is the password your missus has to type in the password she uses to retrieve mail from a POP3/IMAP server?)
What worked for me (IIRC):
Opened Seahorse, right-click on the Default keyring and choose delete.
Logged out and back in again.
Was prompted to enter my WPA passphrase which this time was stored in a Login keyring 
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Yes mate its so my missus can get her Plusnet email through evolution.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Its an iffy one.
IF you log in with a name/password then it should open the default keyring automatically. But if you use auto-login (like most home users) then it will ask for the password as it hasn't been authenticated yet.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ahh ok I see, so perhaps I should just change her account to login with a password and it may not ask again when she opens her email. I know it doesn't ask on my account and I have a passworded login.