cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the best budget 5Ghz or dualband router(s)

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: What are the best budget 5Ghz or dualband router(s)

I'm not sure a dual-band router is even necessary, perhaps just a half-decent 2.4Ghz N300 modem/router would work better than the 582n?
TORPC
Grafter

@ejs
Would you care to elaborate a bit there please Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Some would say that *anything* would work better then the TG582n.
Dual band (concurrent for full usability) is a pretty tall order on a £40 budget but there are plenty of pretty decent modem/routers for that price but possibly better to stick to 2.4Ghz at this relatively low cost.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: TORPC
Would you care to elaborate a bit there please Wink

I can't speak from personal experience since I haven't needed to get a new router while my old netgear still works fine. But I get the impression that people feel the need to replace the 582n with a high end router with excellent wireless performance or escape to the 5GHz band, partly because InSSIDer usually gets suggested to "prove" that all the wireless problems must be due to those other wireless networks in the vicinity.
TimeRider
Grafter

Over budget, and a bit late posting, but I use an Asus RT-N66U - and I have to say it more than 100% exceeds my expectations, featurewise, stability, security, range, and for some reason it even improved by fibre connection by quite a bit - I now get 22mb instead of 15mb (what's that all about on a fibre connection plusnet?) Probably being faster and more efficient it is able to route the data faster - although this IS quite a performance increase.
Anyways, it does dual bgn+a, has 6 'guest' networks.. and far exceeds my expectations - previously I was a netgear fan.
PS many custom firmwares available for this model, but - I found the original firmware was so feature packed and stable - I tried the rest and came back to stock Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

@TR
Not to late for the party
As no final decision has been made as yet Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Asus RT-N66U is just a router, it does not contain an ADSL modem, so would need to be used in conjuction with a separate ADSL modem (or a modem/router re-configured to act as just a modem).
nadger
Rising Star

Still happy with HH4a from eBay  Smiley