cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the best budget 5Ghz or dualband router(s)

TORPC
Grafter

What are the best budget 5Ghz or dualband router(s)

I am toying with the idea of either brands
TP-Link
Belkin
Netgear
What are your experiences on the PlusNet ADSL lines that are stable, preferably on a 3db interleaved connection ?? other connections like 6db can also come into the equation Wink
What was your reason for choosing the brand you ended up with ?Huh
What are the pros & cons ?Huh
Please let me explain a little why I am toying with the idea of Dual band or 5Ghz
In my area channels 1 through 12 are badly congested and channel 13 is the only clear channel
I have not long since spoke to Martin @ PN's HQ and he recognised the issue straight away from experience
and
strongly suggested I get a 5Ghz or dual band as the TG582n can not cope under the stress of being overly congested and that is why I have the WiFi drop-outs as discussed at length in the Broadband and routers section.
So I though a little research could not hurt Smiley
22 REPLIES 22
nadger
Rising Star

Re: What are the best budget 5Ghz or dualband router(s)

I purchased new unused HH4 on eBay early January and have been really pleased so far.
Only used it on 2.4Ghz albeit it is dual band - don't have any 5Ghz devices.
Router is upstairs in back bedroom but main usage is my Roku which is downstairs at front of lounge.
No real stability problems at 3db interleaved.
Channels round here aren't really congested but I've manually set to CH6 as neighbour's HH5 is on Ch 11
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry, I'm not going to answer your question but I thought I should mention that, unless all your wi-fi devices are 5GHz capable then you'll need to get a 2.4/5Ghz 'Concurrent' dual band router, unfortunately these are more expensive so they don't really qualify as 'budget'.
Another possibility would be to add a 5GHz wi-fi access point to what you already have (the TG582n is, I believe, quite good on the ADSL side, just poor in a congested wi-fi environment), you could even switch off the wi-fi on the TG582n and add both 2.4 and 5Ghz access points (or a dual band concurrent one if you can find such a thing).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dragon2611
Grafter

Tenda N300's have decent Wi-Fi performance for such a cheap device.
No idea If they're any good as routers and the interface isn't particularly nice on them but as AP's they work quite well.
I used to have 2 of them configured with the DHCP disabled and then plugged into the network via one of their LAN ports so just acting as dumb switch/ap's used to get ~ 150Mbit/s throughput out of the macbook air on them provided it was in the same room as the AP.
Only reason they're not connected at the moment is I went back to using my UniFI's as I quite like the solution as a whole sadly the ones I have are 2.4ghz only.
TORPC
Grafter

Thanks guys
I nearly forgot about this thread
Not sure what to do as yet, as I still feel more research needs to be done Wink
w23
Pro

Going back to the original post/question:
Quote from: TORPC
I am toying with the idea of either brands
TP-Link
Belkin
Netgear

More hearsay than experience but Belkin seemed to 'loose the plot' somewhat a few years ago, Netgear have had a few issues too.
What's your budget? Have you considered something like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-EA2700-Dual-Band-Router-Gigabit/dp/B007WRYJRO
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 77
What's your budget?

Oops sorry my bad  Embarrassed thank you 77 32 33 for pointing this anomaly out Wink
The budget is for £40 or less as its for the house
w23
Pro

About the closest to budget I can find (maybe cheaper elsewhere): http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDR3500-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B009EOQPZC
Call me 'w23'
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Unfortunately that's not an ADSL router. 
That said, if the OP sticks with the TG582 as the modem/router then he could just add wireless APs to his setup.
w23
Pro

See reply #2  Wink Smiley
AFAICS the OP hasn't mentioned ADSL (but I could be wrong / missed something as always).
Call me 'w23'
TORPC
Grafter

AFAICS the OP hasn't mentioned ADSL (but I could be wrong / missed something as always).

Wink looks like someones scroll button is not in working order  Wink
Quote from: TORPC
[snip]
What are your experiences on the PlusNet ADSL lines that are stable, preferably on a 3db interleaved connection ?? other connections like 6db can also come into the equation Wink
[snip]
w23
Pro

In my defence I'd refer the honorable gentlemen to:
See reply #2
and
but I could be wrong / missed something as always
Call me 'w23'
nadger
Rising Star

Not regretted buying HH4 on eBay  Smiley
cajef
Grafter

I am using a Netgear DGND3700v2, over your budget but I found it very stable on ADSL+2, I have been using it on the PlusNet FTTP trial since last July and it has never dropped the connection, using ethernet to main computer and wireless 5Ghz band on both a laptop and notebook and find the range about half the 2.4Ghz range but still quite usable at the other end of the house.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
That said, if the OP sticks with the TG582 as the modem/router then he could just add wireless APs to his setup.

Unless the TG582n has had its long overdue major overhaul, I can not see me sticking with it TBH
As it is ADSL I am really looking for a plugn play replacement, without all the fuss