Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Router to allow external access?

cphillips
Dabbler

What Router to allow external access?

Hi
I am looking at setting up a small low use web server and email server on my f9 account.
I currently have a US Robotics 9108 router but am having great trouble with it allowing access from the outside world..
Anyone with this router managed to get it to allow access - i've adjusted the f9 firewall accordingly.
If not, can anyone recommend a router that easily allows them to do what i'm after.. it's driving me nuts!  Embarrassed
Many thanks
Colin
21 REPLIES 21
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: What Router to allow external access?

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/USRobotics/9108-SureConnect/Echolink.htm
Does that help?
Your need to forward port 80 for web (HTTP) and port 25 for mail (SMTP). It should forward to the internal IP of your web/email server.
cphillips
Dabbler

Hi Peter,
I've setup the Virtual Server for http traffic as per your link (and put in the IP of my "web server") but it just won't connect - times out.  Not tried the email server yet as would like to successfully get the web server working.. the machine is running XP and I have the XP firewall on but have setup an exception to allow port 80 traffic in/out so think the problem lies in the router.
Undecided
Colin
cp:quote
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Can you connect to the web server using its local IP address from another PC?
cphillips
Dabbler

Hi, yes just tried connecting to the "web server" from another PC internal to the network and that displays fine in the browser!
Colin
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Did you specify TCP for the port 80 protocol in the router?
Make sue you have saved the changes then try rebooting your router to see if that solves the problem.
Also have you set the web server to use a static IP either via setting this for the network card or allocating the IP address in the routers DHCP set-up.
samuria
Grafter

How do you know its not working?
You cant connect to your own server via a external ip as the router wont let you. To test it you must get someone else to try who is not on your local network. You can do it if you dial up so you get another connection. If you post the connection we can try it
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yep, I forget most routers can't resolve an external IP when used internally. I use a Vigor which can so forgot about that one.
PM me your IP and I'll give it a try for you or get a mate to try from their PC.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Or try https://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/ which allows you to put a URL in (in your case your IP address of the web server) to see a single page.
chillypenguin
Grafter

There is currently no webserver running (or accessible) on the IP address that cphillips posted from.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Ah, the privileges of being a mod Wink
He may not have the server switched on though  Smiley
cphillips
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
Did you specify TCP for the port 80 protocol in the router?
Make sue you have saved the changes then try rebooting your router to see if that solves the problem.
Also have you set the web server to use a static IP either via setting this for the network card or allocating the IP address in the routers DHCP set-up.

Peter
Have specified port 80 and rebooted the router - made no difference.  My "web server" always uses the same IP address.
Colin
cphillips
Dabbler

Quote from: samuria
How do you know its not working?
You cant connect to your own server via a external ip as the router wont let you. To test it you must get someone else to try who is not on your local network. You can do it if you dial up so you get another connection. If you post the connection we can try it

Hi Samuria
I can test it as I have a secure tunnel connection to my work machine - I then use that to see if I can access my web server at home..
The web url will be http://jimmarybob.f9.co.uk
Colin
cphillips
Dabbler

Quote from: chillypenguin
There is currently no webserver running (or accessible) on the IP address that cphillips posted from.

There wouldn't be as the machine was turned off!
Well observed Peter!  Cheesy
Colin
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It works! is the page you get.......... Crazy