Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Happened to my Desk Top ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What Happened to my Desk Top ?

This is really weird...... This morning, I switcched on my laptop, to boot up, whilst getting brekky.......as usual.... same routine every morning... and yet........
When I looked at my Desktop.... it was as if I had just installed windows. !... well, almost.... The desktop background was the "standard issue" blue background with a couple of swirly lines, and there were about 30% of my desktop shortcut icons sorted into columns on the left of the screen.... and... there was a Widget bar on the right with a clock and weather... !...
I never use that... I managed to get Firefox to open up... but it needed permission to be the default Firefox opening page... got my Google search page set as home... as you do, when setting up a new install... and went to the top of the screen.... no menu bar... so had to invoke that... then I checked my bookmarks... and none were there... also my firefox apps were not available... so couldn`t invoke Xmarks to get them back...... decided something was a bit "funny" and shut down... and then re-booted....
What a surprise... my "proper" desktop was back in full swing.... all the icons were in correct places.... Firefox worked as normal.... and my desktop background was correct too...
Been out and about since then... come home... and booted up... and it`s just as it should be ........
see pics below for how it was and how it should be ( is now).....  
Anyone any ideas what could have caused it.?    
(all updates have been correctly installed..... and ff is v39  .... )
8 REPLIES 8
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: What Happened to my Desk Top ?

For whatever reason, windows couldn't load your normal profile. No idea why but it happens to all of us at some point for some reason and yes it's a pain in the grass.
Just be grateful that it did work as usual when you rebooted.. it doesn't always come back!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen this before and IMSMC it had to do with Roaming Profiles. I was a victim of this when I had Vista and 7 but for me a simple logout / in fixed it. Others might know more.
shutter
Community Veteran

What is IMSMC ?  don`t think I have that on my laptop...  Well, not until you put it on the screen ! ...
I can`t remember if I did actually put my password in, after the boot up... I do it every morning... so I am assuming that I did... however, I am wondering, if .... by chance... I got distracted and did not put in the password... eventually Windows opened up with the first screen .....
Weird that only "some" of my short cut icons were available... which would not have been if it had been a "proper" clean install...
I re-booted, just to see what would happen... and if it came up again.. I was going to go to System Restore, to fix it... !  .. yet it "fixed" itself... ! 
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

IMSMC
If Memory Serves Me Correctly  Cool
sounds like a user log in fail ,
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I agree. If you look in the C:\Users folder you may find evidence of the temporary profile created when the normal one failed to load.
shutter
Community Veteran

@RR... nothing for todays date... most of it in there is dated 2 november 2006.... with a log file  dated sometime in april this year as the only thing that is different... been thru all the folders on Users and all empty , except as noted for 2006 dated entries...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

What I was expecting is that you would see a Public and Default and 'Shutter' folder as usual but also a 'Shutter.temp' folder (or similar) left behind.
shutter
Community Veteran

Nope... nothing like that... nothing "Unusual" at all... ! .. as I said... "weired ">>>... !