Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
18 REPLIES 18
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Well, that was satisfyingly geeky.

You mean wine actually does something?
Last time I tried wine, it crashed when I tried to scroll down using a scroll bar!!!!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
artificer
Grafter

not bad.  i fancy one of those eee machines myself, though i'll wait until they use the whole screen area and produce a slightly larger one.
what's the laptop you have lurking in the background?
holdtight
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Last time I tried wine, it crashed when I tried to scroll down using a scroll bar!!!!

Yes i gave up on wine sometime ago after many hair pulling moments
Well done to you though Kelly, neat !
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: artificer
not bad.  i fancy one of those eee machines myself, though i'll wait until they use the whole screen area and produce a slightly larger one.
what's the laptop you have lurking in the background?

The new eee900 uses the full area for the screen.  Out now!
The laptop is a Vaio.  Can't remember the model number.  Widescreen though, for scale.
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

I'm misleading you guys a little, it was remarkably easy.  The hardest part was getting eeeXubuntu running on it, as a 2GB SD drive isn't large enough for the default install!
Once that was on it was just a sudo apt-get install wine and then putting the starcraft CD in!  *laughs*
Kelly Dorset
zubel
Community Veteran

why eeeXubuntu?
Can't you just open up the terminal (some key combo including 'T') and 'sudo apt-get install wine' from there? Wink
B.
Kelly
Hero

because Mandriva is nasty!  I quite like Ubuntu and eeeXubuntu is rolled with all the right hardware stuff sorted.  I'm not kernel hacker Smiley
Kelly Dorset
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
The new eee900 uses the full area for the screen.  Out now!

Toy`R`Us in Northampton had stock at the weekend of the new larger screen model running XP, but at £330
Kelly
Hero

Yeah.  Hence why I bought a 701 for £199.  £330 is proper laptop territory.
Kelly Dorset
Prod_Man
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
You mean wine actually does something?

Well I've found Wine to run pretty well from my experience,
so I guess I'm either lucky or I don't run enough applications under wine on Linux to really have any problems.
It even emulates my own Windows programs written with VB6, and run just as good as they do on Windows...
I can run most Steam Games on Linux, as good as it runs on Windows, so long as you select OpenGL rendering you're fine.
Any libraries than can run native will always run faster, hence why in OpenGL mode the Games run well because Wine just reverts to the native linux .so modules instead of Emulating DirectX.
It will handel 2D DirectX fine I think, 3D will run particularly slow no matter what optimisations on graphics you do.

@Kelly: I ran StarCraft, Unreal and UT(99) under Wine, on SuSE Linux 91, on an old PII Laptop.
The EEE PC should be capable to handel even the likes of UT2003 (Has Intel 9xx Grpahics right?), but it will probably much power.
Jim,
TomP
Grafter

Was looking at getting one of these for going away to some hot and sandy places in June for a few months.
Do you recommend it then Kelly? Can I plug in an external hard drive with plenty of my movies/music burnt onto it to entertain myself? Do you know of anyone using the 900 yet and is it much better and worth the money?
Thanks
Tom
Kelly
Hero

Have a read of this:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/05/15/first-impressions-on-my-asus-eee/
If you are going to get one, get one of the bigger models, as the 2G Surf is a bit limited.  Jamie at PlusNet has a 900 and is very happy with it.  I think they are just the little bit to expensive.
Also, if you have big hands, I suggest you try one before you buy, just  in case! Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
TomP
Grafter

I have checked out the review.  Was impressed with your write up. 
I am currently using a HTC Tytn II http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_TyTN_II and don't really have a problem with those keys.
So it has a video player available?  I'm assuming that things like itunes and Windows Media Player are all available through Wine?
Don't happen to know if its sand proof?  Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

I am with Kelly on the price of the 900. At £330 and running Windows it loses its attraction as a £200 laptop. When you can get a `full sized` lappy for £350 Running* Vista.
* OK, `Running` may be an overstatement, crawling may be a better way of putting it!