Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird connection problem

hulls
Grafter

Weird connection problem

Hi
I just thought I'd put this into the ether.  The evening before last we had a strange ring on our phone.  I picked it up and it went dead, but when I dialled 1471, I seemed to get 2 messages slightly out of sink.  After a bit of hanging up and redialling, I found myself talking to a lady who appeared to be having the same problems,
Coincidentally, my broadband connection went doolally (no connection at all, although I could get as far as the router).  I contacted BT and told them about the problem.  They checked the line and said there "might" be a problem. I did the usual checks - unplugged everything and tried putting a phone directly into the test socket, and it seemed ok, but when I plugged the router into the test socket - no luck.  Of course the problem was intermittent.
I then put the phone back into the test socket and called BT again. I got the usual message  about a charge, and said I'd keep an eye on it. Of course if it was broadband problem, I had to go to my ISP.  Tongue  Did that and PN said they'd do some checks, could I please leave everything plugged in!  Of course I didn't have any broadband, so couldn't pick up any updates.
Yesterday morning I picked up more odd calls that rang once and stopped, and on picking up, I could hear people talking on the line, but they apparently couldn't hear me.  I called BT who said that their tests indicated the the problem lay with my equipment. I plugged the phone into the test socket again, and left it like that for the day.  Nothing untoward (except a couple of phantom rings), so this morning I plugged everything back in, and it works fine (no odd calls yet), and internet is obviously ok.
The PN ticket says "no problems found", and I haven't been back to BT.  So apparently no-one did anything, and yet it's all back to normal  Undecided
Sorry for the long story, but does anyone have a possible explanation?
John
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Weird connection problem

Explanation: Whoever you spoke to at BT was talking bollocks!
Have you got an old wired phone? If so plug that in to the test socket without the filter and router the next time it goes funny to prove it's not your end. I cannot think of any way a problem with your equipment would allow you to hear someone else's conversation.
If you pay your line rental to BT report it as a voice fault and do not say anything about broadband!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hulls
Grafter

That's pretty much what I asked. The problem is that because of the nature of the problem, by the time I've unplugged e erything, and plugged in the wired phone, it's ok!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What you mean is that the other person that your line is partly crossed with had stopped using the phone!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)