cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website forwarding

redbadger27

Website forwarding

I have a domain name purchased via 123-reg. 

I have a small personal website on my plusnet included webspace (had it for a long time, I know they don't offer it any more)

At the 123-reg portal I have forwarded my purchased domain to the plusnet-hosted web site.

It all works fine, except the browser shows the plusnet website address and not my purchased domain.

Is there any way of forwarding a domain to a plusnet hosted website and showing the domain address in the browser address bar instead of the plusnet website address?

If not, I know that if I buy webspace at 123-reg, then there won't be a problem. Hoping to not need to spend more money for now though.

Cheers,

Ian

5 REPLIES 5
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Website forwarding

Yes it can be done.

You need to go into your DNS or nameserver settings at 123-reg to do it but first you'll need to open a support ticket with plusnet in order to get your domain setup on your hosting. Then following plusnets reply you'll either need to change the nameservers on your domain OR the DNS A record. The A record is preferable as it will update quicker and is just an IP address. IF you chance nameservers to the plusnet hosting servers then the domain will go offline for a short while as the change propagates across multuple nameservers on the web.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
redbadger27

Thanks.  123-reg said there was nothing they could do, it's all down to plusnet apparently.

I'll get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Ian

7up
Community Veteran

There is nothing 123-reg can do to configure your webhosting - that is correct as the server your website is on is not owned by 123-reg but offered by plusnet. You need to contact plusnet and ask them to have your domain accepted on the web server - in other words they need to configure the webserver to answer requests for www.your-domain.com

Once that is done you then log in to your 123-reg control panel and change either the DNS A record or the nameservers. Personally I'd go with the A record but some people prefer to move the entire domain and it's DNS to a different nameserver.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some domain name suppliers (eg Namesco) will use a frame to contain the actual website (it's a tick box, and can be disabled), so the originial url remains in the user browser. Clearly 123 reg don't offer that option.

7up
Community Veteran

That technique is known as cloaking and considered a bit amateurish these days. 123-reg did used to offer it many many moons ago but now they just do everything to the letter instead.