Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website advice please

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Website advice please

I want to make a website page, that consist of a basic spreadsheet, which I will lay out... the cells will contain an appointment type setup,... i.e. 7 week days across the top,. below the days information of booking/appointments will be displayed.
What I need, is for this page to cover 1 month... ( so four/five sections of spreadsheet ) proposed bookings will be displayed for boat trips.... and each trip will require input from volunteers ( logged in ) to add their name for the positions of Skipper, Mate, cabin crew 1 and cabin crew 2...
I can design the spreadsheet... but I need to know how to include this on a webpage/website, so that volunteers can log in and add or remove their preference for a particular trip.
At present this system is a paper system, on a notice board .... and members must then email the "co-ordinator" for confirmation .... some members cannot access this paper system and get left off the roster system, which always needs someone to "cajole" people to take up positions.... ( that could be filled in on-line) increasing the efficiency of the volunteer crews and giving them more chances of using their training which otherwise is going to waste, (because they don`t come in from far afield on a daily basis and read the notice board )..
Any advice... or words of wisdom... html Huh  please.
I do not have the website set up yet, and propose to use a free web design and adapt it as necessary... however, I am not the web designer I would like to be, and there is a website already available, that "may" be able to "slot in" the page described above...
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Website advice please

Had you considered using the SMF forum software that these forums use? Would the calendar function meet your needs?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

Dunno what SMF is... !... have only a "basic" idea of how a website works....so may be asking the impossible.... but any info would/could be useful to the organisation for someone else to utililize for this situation...
I have got a copy of Kompozer 0.7.10 to work with..... which mentions that tables can be inserted in web pages... ( that would be MY spreadsheet)... but I need to know how to let others access that page to be able to "modify" the contents of that spreadsheet ...
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Google Docs maybe an option, for having a spreadsheet , that members can easily add info to
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks for that... will investigate it tomorrow...
Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: shutter
Dunno what SMF is... !...

Well for someone who doesn't know what SMF is you've done well to make 9511 posts using it! Tongue
Here is a link to a website using SMF: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php although the version that site is using is very out of date. It's free software which you can get from http://www.simplemachines.org/ - their forums (use the Community link at the top) use the latest version (but they don't have the calendar feature turned on).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.Jelv... Thanks very much for the info....
I don`t know how washing powder works...... but I have used it for over 45 years ! ! .. Cheesy Grin Grin
Thunderclap
Grafter

Sounds like you need a scheduling/appointment module, something like Google Calendar or Clickbook
Also check out One&One's My Website Builder which includes a Calendar & Contacts template.
http://website.1and1.co.uk/pricing?__lf=guided&linkOrigin=&linkId=ct.txt.allinclusive-headline#choos...
shutter
Community Veteran

Unfortunately, none of the above, seem to offer what I am looking for. !...
I have made up a page with the spreadsheet on,  as a "base" ...Using Kompozer........ and all the cells are ready for info to be put into them... . looks quite the biz... just need to find out how to let others access the page so they can input their names on the grid. ....
The page is not "live" or uploaded to the net... yet.!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: shutter
OK.Jelv... Thanks very much for the info....
I don`t know how washing powder works...... but I have used it for over 45 years ! ! .. Cheesy Grin Grin

Coat hangers.. I still don't understand those either so you're not alone matey
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran

I have now made the spreadsheet on Google Drive/spreadsheet.... it seems I can nominate people to be able to change the data on that, so I will contact a couple of people to try it out... and maybe that will be the best option...
Thanks for the help and advice .  Wink