cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website Ban and How It Works

molley

Website Ban and How It Works

I got banned from a website forum yesterday because I dared to criticise the sites posting policy  and altho' I'm not particularly bothered I'm intrigued to understand how they have done it . When I call up the url I get a page that says
" This computer is banned from *******
If you think this is wrong, please use the contact form by clicking here"
I can only assume it is something to do with my I.P. address but I always thought this changed every time you logged on or rebooted your PC but seems that is not the case .
I have deleted cookies and Temp Internet Files with no difference .
I'm using an Ethernet Modem if that makes any difference .
Anyone got a clue .I just don't like not understanding how things work .
Stuart

18 REPLIES 18
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Website Ban and How It Works

Is this a permanent ban or a temporary one?
Do you have a "static" ip address or not?
You didn't get banned for a little criticism - they banned you for abuse - otherwise their forums would have no members.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

molley

Quote from: axisofevil
Is this a permanent ban or a temporary one?
Do you have a "static" ip address or not?
You didn't get banned for a little criticism - they banned you for abuse - otherwise their forums would have no members.

No I did not get banned for abuse .I got banned for criticising the sites policy of allowing members to make abusive posts .
As for the relevant part of your reply the ban is permanent ..Does that matter ? .
I don't know whether the IP Address is static or "not" .Perhaps you could explain how I find out
VileReynard
Hero

Go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=control_your_broadband
and select "Change IP Settings" - but make no changes unless you want them actioned!

molley

Thx for that .Couldnt see any " Change IP settings" but rooting around I see it's because BB Premier doesn't give you any option other than a " Static IP" but at least i understand more about how it works .
Also as an aside .
Could I suggest that before you make comments about the reason why things have happened  you wait until you have enough information to decide . I am referring to you asserting why the website banned me . You are completely wrong there .
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: molley
Could I suggest that before you make comments about the reason why things have happened  you wait until you have enough information to decide . I am referring to you asserting why the website banned me . You are completely wrong there .

You could only be banned from a group if it is a moderated group. A group will have certain criteria which constitute "abuse". I claimed that you had broken one or more of these and so had been banned.
I did not claim that you had been abusive or offensive - simply that you had been banned for activities which had been deemed to be not in accord with the group's objectives.

molley

Quote from: axisofevil

You could only be banned from a group if it is a moderated group. A group will have certain criteria which constitute "abuse". I claimed that you had broken one or more of these and so had been banned.
I did not claim that you had been abusive or offensive - simply that you had been banned for activities which had been deemed to be not in accord with the group's objectives.

Well the "Group" is www.fitlads.net ..and the only Mod is the owner who ,as I said in my message,seems not to give a toss about others being abusive,offensive and making remarks which in most spheres might be considered actionable...but bans me for pointing this out ...You try working out what it's objectives are .:-)
VileReynard
Hero

Well the "Group" is www.fitlads.net ..and the only Mod is the owner who ,as I said in my message,seems not to give a toss about others being abusive,offensive and making remarks which in most spheres might be considered actionable...but bans me for pointing this out ...You try working out what it's objectives are .:-)

I must apologise - but quite honestly such an "in your face" site like that probably wants to encourage people to make "abusive,offensive [..] remarks" in the interests of trying to show they are in touch with today - yada, yada...
Even if you felt bound to try, I think you were bound to fail. Try elsewhere for somewhere a forum a bit more to your liking.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Back the the original question...
They will have banned you via IP address, login name, email address or any combination of the three. The first and last to stop you signing up with a new account.
molley

Quote from: Peter
Back the the original question...
They will have banned you via IP address, login name, email address or any combination of the three. The first and last to stop you signing up with a new account.

It's the IP Address. I have a static address with no option to change it .The other two things I can change no bother but I'll not be going back .I have been done a favour .It's like asbosRus on that site .lol
samuria
Grafter

If it banned by IP then you can use TOR or a proxy server which will hide your ip.
Get tor its free from
http://www.torproject.org/
very use full at times
pcoventry76
Grafter

i use relakks which is a vpn but uses alot of ips
not really good if a username gets banned - i got banned on thinkbroadband for a supposed 14 days, that was 6 years ago. still banned
i only come here, i don't like these third party sites i only go there to look at the PlusNet one and i can do that here
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: pcoventry76
i got banned on thinkbroadband for a supposed 14 days, that was 6 years ago. still banned

I know I should learn from the OP's experience with that unpleasant web site - but just how could you get banned from thinkbroadband?
I find this banning to be inexplicable - most of my early internet experience was with UseNet - where you always found a few very unsavoury characters to put in your killfile - but they weren't banned. Even in moderated groups it seemed to take a big effort by someone to get themselves banned.
(puts head in lions mouth...)

pcoventry76
Grafter

no idea, not that i really care to be honest its just a website
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

With TBB it's just that they forget to un-ban you (I speak from experience). I bet if you sent them a message they'd do it (if you were bothered!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)