cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webpage not found even when connected

juliasdream
Grafter

Webpage not found even when connected

I don't know if this is the best place to ask for help.
It's not exactly a Plusnet issue which is why I haven't posted it under the broadband problem forum.
I'm trying to help someone with a connection problem.
He's with AOL and didn't get mych joy through the helpline who kept saying something was wrong with his router. A Netgear one recommended by AOL.
With my limited expertise I established that his router was fine and that it was his LAN cable port wasnt working
I managed to set up his router using my own laptop and receive a perfect signal both wired and wirelessly getting web pages without problem.
The problem now is that although his laptop picks up his router ok and shows as being connected it still shows up as "webpage not found"
I have tried everthing I can think of but no joy
His laptop is running with Vista while mine has Windows 7.
I have convinced him that changing to plusnet  wouldnt be such a bad idea but for the moment he is still tied to a contract with AOL
Oh, and I also tried using an old PCMCIA network card on his laptop to establish a wired connection but for some reason it wont fully insert. I can only get it to go about halfway in so thats not a possibility either
Any advice on troubleshooting procedures covering this issue would be much apreciated
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Webpage not found even when connected

Did you check the DNS settings? Test it using nslookup from the command line. E.g.
C:\Documents and Settings\John>nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.bbc.net.uk
Address:  212.58.246.91
Aliases:  www.bbc.co.uk

The server and address at the top will show his primary DNS server. If it is the address of the router you need to check the DNS settings in the router to see what it is using. In any case I'd suggest putting the AOL DNS servers (64.12.51.132 149.174.221.8 ) in to the TCP/IP settings on the PC and add an additional Google DNS server (8.8.8.8 )
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
juliasdream
Grafter

Hi
I did try that but still have the problem.
I was wondering if there is a kind of check list or a kind of diagnosis procedure that network technicians follow when up against same or similar problems
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: juliasdream
I was wondering if there is a kind of check list or a kind of diagnosis procedure that network technicians follow when up against same or similar problems

Yes, check if the DNS is working by doing a NSLOOKUP!
What did you get from a nslookup?
You could then try seeing if you can access a website by IP address: http://212.159.9.110/ is a good one to try.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gadfly
Grafter

Have you tried using the repair option in the Network & Sharing Center or running the Network Troubleshooter in Windows Vista?
You could also try using Network Magic from http://www.purenetworks.com/ which allows you to use a trial version.
If none of those works, I would buy a cheap USB 802.11g wireless dongle that you can buy for about £7 from amazon.co.uk.