Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcams on Laptops - why?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Webcams on Laptops - why?

I'm in the process of looking for a non-expensive(?) laptop for my offspring - but every last one seems to include a built-in webcam (I mean the laptop, not the offspring Grin )
Why is this?
Surely those who want to stare into other peoples faces can make a positive decision to buy the extra hardware?
Since I'm expecting it to be loaded down with Windows 7, is it possible to put the damn thing beyond use?  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

38 REPLIES 38
scootie
Grafter

Re: Webcams on Laptops - why?

are you for really mr evil. well yeah the makers are going to inclued a webcam as who would want to have to carry a extra webcam and blot it on there laptop. if you dont need it you dont use it.
i dont think the web cams push the price of laptops up. it must be one of the least expensive parts of the hardware in laptop anyway
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You could try putting a dab of very dark coloured nail varnish on the hole/lens !  that would make it "unusable".... without damaging the electronics inside !....  Cheesy
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Just disable it in the device manager.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: shutter
You could try putting a dab of very dark coloured nail varnish on the hole/lens ! 

Great idea - I'm going to seriously consider doing that - although it could be defeated by a bottle of acetone.  Smiley
Alternatively, I could try the device manager thing first.

shutter
Community Veteran

But if the kids don`t know what it is that is on there, they are not likely to know the "remover"  Grin Grin
you could always do both ! 
mal0z
Grafter

How many average users knows about the 'Device manager'
certainly not the majority I would wager .
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm with ASBO DOG on this one.  Don't use it if you don't want it.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

These devices probably have plastic lenses, acetone would almost certainly damage the lens (possibly also part of the surounding casing -cosmetic damage here), this would result in a porr quality, blurred image (much like you get with ......... a cheap webcam!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don't like webcams.
Partly because I can't be bothered, but mainly because seeing my own image on a PC doesn't really appeal Smiley
The nail varnish thing doesn't sound like a bad idea. Trouble is, you'd have to pretend not to have done anything with the laptop should it go wrong.
jmd
Grafter

I make use of the webcam on my Dell laptop - I now have skype and it is wonderful to be able to talk and see a friend that lives hundreds of miles away!
VileReynard
Hero

I wonder why the videophone has never really taken off - despite numerous attempts (since the 1930's apparently).  Crazy

shutter
Community Veteran

I suspect because of the bandwidth required for video down the twisted pair!.... also the quality of the picture.... remember (perhaps you don`t) the change from 405 lines to 625 lines in b&w tv? gave a much better pic, and we still using 625 on "normal " tv. now with colour...
can`t imagine what a mobile video phone would look like  Roll_eyes  ..... on todays sizes, I suppose you would recognise who was talking by the shape of their ear !  Cheesy
Not applicable

I'm with Axis on this one - both of my laptops have them. In fact I just got round to putting the webcam manager disc in the reformatted Dell only yesterday.
I thought that I would never use it but the new Sony had Skype on preloaded so jmdlp got me started with it and now we have a chat with Holly making a right racket in the background as she wants to know what is going on.
Just last week my friend visited her friend who lives in Spain and they got their lappy connected so we had a nice chat and I was shown all around their home and the view out the window.
It was about 6 p.m. here, dark, cold and pouring down with rain - there it was daylight and they were clad in t-shirts. It made a nice break from the boring telly so now I'm changing my tune somewhat.
Said friend is now home and has bought a webcam for her lappy so that she can connect with her friend in Spain. All good fun and nice to keep in touch.
Axis will have to apply nail polish, disable the thing or be brave and have a go!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: poppy
Axis will have to apply nail polish

Assuming he has an appropriate shade in his personal collection Lips_are_sealed Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine