cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam advice needed

Not applicable

Webcam advice needed

I have just ordered a new laptop for my friend and she is quite taken with the fact that it has a built in webcam (she has relatives in Australia and would like to talk with them).
I too have one in my laptop  but have never used it. Please could someone point me to (very simple) instructions on this?  I thought that we could practice between us before 'going live' so to speak.
The children of another friend use Messenger with their webcam but am not too sure about this. Can you do it with Gmail Chat as I have an account and can easily set one up for my friend?
I know that it is pretty basic stuff which I ought to know about (every 5-year old seems to be an expert) but it really is not something that I have been bothered with until now, and I can't help my pal without some information.   Embarrassed
10 REPLIES 10
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Webcam advice needed

Poppy, I'm glad you asked this question because my new HP laptop has a built in webcam and I've never used it and would like to.  Also as with most electronic items these days there is no instruction book to look in.
One thing I would say is that with HP their telephone help is first-class and if I phoned them I am sure they would talk me through this.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I know that Windows Live Messenger has video chat facilities and configuring a built in or installed external webcam is fairly straight forward. I haven't used Gmail chat so I don't know if this facility is available.
Edit: Just had a look and the facility is now available.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have only used it on Skype, didnt have to do anything, it just worked on XP, my litte Eeepc (Linux) also has one, only used that as a camera, but also straight forward
community
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I have only used it on Skype, didnt have to do anything, it just worked on XP,

Ditto for me.
I have used skype and the webcam several times to talk to my friends around the world.
Do you know about skype?
You can telephone all over the world for a fraction of the normal costs...AND if you are talking to someone who also has Skype, it is absolutely FREE!
Just in case you don't know about Skype  go to www.skype.com
cheers
Not applicable

Strat - thank you for that link. Have just looked at the  video and I think that this is better because it is not intrusive as Messenger.
Would just have to set up a gmail account for my friend as I already have one. Presumably she will then have to make sure that her recipients have one too. Hope that it is as easy as it looks. Where I got confused is that I have a console and something about Creative avatars on my Dell but no instructions on how to use it for chatting to someone else. Looking forward to having a play.
Artmo - if you have the chance to call HP it would be interesting to know what they have to say about it. Would you post back if you do telephone please?
Pierre - have heard of Skype but thought that you needed to pay for extra equipment. According to you link though, you just download it free. If we both installed it on our computers could we then set up a link to try it out? This looks good.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you give yourself a unique name and when you sign onto skype can see who is on line,  you just click on their name and they are notified to start the session.  Did not keep mine up as the onlt one I really wanted to use it for did not have broadband, Dont be put off by the VOIP brigade, it is a parallel system and as Community said Skype to Skype if free, its only if you want to go external to the PC that you have to pay.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Bear in mind that if you go with Skype and buy credit the unused credit expires after 180 days so make a call within that time to keep it active.
Calls are very cheap though.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

Thank you very much for advice, which is just what i needed. Have been thinking about Pierre's experience with Skype and really it is just the same in that there is only one person that she wants to talk to (or rather one family).  I didn't know about the credits thing so I imagine that it would be uneconomical as she won't be talking to them frequently.
I think that gmail might be the best bet so am going to have a go with that. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sandra if both are using Skype there is no charge, I never paid a penny
Not applicable

That clarifies the issue Pierre so thank you for the advice. Meanwhile, I have downloaded the plug in for gmail chat but can't try it until we have the new laptop up and running - awaiting delivery today.