cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web sites not fully loading - DNS or Router problem?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Web sites not fully loading - DNS or Router problem?

Yes, and setting the computer back to auto to use the router as it's DNS server.
A further thing to try would be to manually configure the router to use Plusnet's DNS servers, but ensuring the different server IP addresses are assigned different metric values. I recall there was the strange discovery that the technicolor routers assign the same metric value to both DNS servers automatically supplied during part of the PPP / IPCP protocol. And that results in each DNS query being sent to both DNS servers at the same time. A more expected behaviour would be for the router to send the DNS query to the primary DNS server first, and if it doesn't get a response, send it to the secondary DNS server. You could add the 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 ones with lower metrics than the ones automatically supplied. See http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#dnsr10 if you haven't already.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Townman
HP,
One key aspect of that thread is the WIN8 / WIn8.1 client.  It does its DNS caching differently and (I think this comes with WIN8x rather than simply IE11) there is a lot more DNS-prefetching done.  What confused me when I was looking at this was the inconsistent behaviour (in the absence of my knowledge of private DNS stores) in address resolution.

Win 8.1 could be my problem as it only happens on the Win 8 pc.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: ejs
A further thing to try would be to manually configure the router to use Plusnet's DNS servers, but ensuring the different server IP addresses are assigned different metric values.
Not sure how to do that, I logged onto the router via the web admin interface and it will only allow changes via the Wizard, which I can't be bothered with at present.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

HP,
You need to use Telnet to do that.
Do you think there is merit in asking the mods to merge these two threads?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markbland

Started having exactly the same problems recently, since around 2-3 weeks ago, sites have been intermittently very slow to load and some content is not displayed, first noticed this on the BBC sites but it can occur on any.
I'm also using Windows 7 64-Bit, IE10 (the same problems also occur in Chrome and Firefox), along with the PlusNet TG582N router (10.2.2.B).
Tried various solutions but nothing seemed to fix it - it's very intermittent and can work one minute but not the next, until I came across this thread, changing DNS from the TG582N to either Google or Plusnet directly seems to work and sites which were not loading then instantly work.
Any indication of why this problem started & what can be done to resolve it (other than the DNS changes) ?
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forums.
Have you tried configuring your PC to use a specific DNS server - for example Google 8.8.8.8 ?
If that produces a difference, then you might be experiencing DNS responsiveness issues similar to that above and elsewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.