cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web sites not fully loading - DNS or Router problem?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Web sites not fully loading - DNS or Router problem?

For some time now I've had problems with slow/incomplete loading of complex web pages.
The BBC web site, which I refer to quite a lot, is often plagued by this, with video content often not "activating" and just staying as a background picture.
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, IE10 (and other browsers) and have a standard PlusNet TG582N router with the latest firmware.
TCP/IP settings are (were) all at defaults, so the DNS points at the router which gets the settings from PN.
If I change the DNS settings for the PC's network interface manually to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) it works perfectly.
And as soon as I change back to automatic it starts misbehaving again.
A reboot of the router (or PC for that matter) makes no difference, the problem appears immediately.
I've read elsewhere that many BT users are having similar problems, which have been largely not been responded to constructively by BT, and suspicions are that it's down to a faulty implementation of a system for blocking access to web sites that have been restricted by court orders or to meet other legal requirements.
One wonders if PN share such systems and this could be a cause?
Anyone else seeing such oddness?
20 REPLIES 20
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Web sites not fully loading - DNS or Router problem?

Now you come to mention it, yes. I have had problems with the Barclays website not fully loading, then about 10- 15 seconds later refreshing automatically and being displayed. It seems to be pages that have add ons included in their content for me. Other sites seem to hang when loading, get the page cannot be displayed and then automatically refreshing to display  Crazy
I am using Chrome and also the PN router.
Mark
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Mark' - are you also using Plusnet DNS ?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
We've not had any other reports of such problems.
@HPsauce do you have access to a spare router just to rule out if there might perhaps be an issue with how yours is handling assigning DNS?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: purleigh
@'Mark' - are you also using Plusnet DNS ?

I assume so as I have not changed any settings in that area.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
@HPsauce do you have access to a spare router
Probably 7 or 8 if I do a thorough search. Several Netgears (some with DGTeam firmware) and the odd variety of HomeHub as well.
DG834GT, DG834Gv2, DGN1000, DGN2000, HH2.0 all within sight - what would be the best for a test, not that I'm likely to do anything until after Xmas?  Cool
Note that I updated my router firmware a few days ago, to see if another (VPN) problem was improved. This issue occurred before and is unchanged by that upgrade.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Perhaps try setting the computer to use the Plusnet DNS servers (212.159.6.9, 212.159.6.10) directly. That should help determine if the problem is with the router or Plusnet's DNS servers. The trouble with changing the computer to use Google DNS is that it changes two variables at once - it both avoids the DNS server in the router and changes the eventual destination of the DNS queries.
HPsauce
Pro

Good suggestion, I'll try that next.
I've not done much logical investigation, my first objective was to get round the problem. If that changes loads of things, any/all of which might be suspect, but gets a result then so be it.  Wink
After that my next step was to see if my problem was commonplace, rare but still experienced by others, or pretty much just mine. Hence this thread.  Cool
Only after narrowing the scope was I intending to narrow down the options.
HPsauce
Pro

Interesting outcome of a little "play" for a few minutes.......
With those PN DNS servers defined in my PC all is well.
Reverting to using the router I am still getting errors (incomplete page loads), though today they are not as big/obvious as they have been on other days.
I'll leave the DNS as the PN servers but defined specifically in my PC for now and observe........
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

HP,
This has the same hallmarks as my thread here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.0.html - see the back end.
I believe that this is possibly a consequence of slow DNS responses from PlusNet compounded with the TG router spoofing IP addresses when it should not.
Try this telnet command to find out what has been spoofed...
dns server debug spoof list

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

Interesting, while I'm not (currently) using the router to supply DNS there are 13 entries returned, four of which are BBC-related.
Another five are Apple-related (probably from using the iPad?) and one is acs.plus.net
(The other three I don't recognise)
So, maybe a similar problem?  Undecided
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Townman
This has the same hallmarks as my thread here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.0.html - see the back end.
OK, I've read right through that thread (not sure why I missed it before?  Undecided ) and it does indeed sound similar, I've even occasionally had the "router logon page" appearing unexpectedly as described there.
I think I'll "suspend" this thread and continue over there.  Cool
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

HP,
One key aspect of that thread is the WIN8 / WIn8.1 client.  It does its DNS caching differently and (I think this comes with WIN8x rather than simply IE11) there is a lot more DNS-prefetching done.  What confused me when I was looking at this was the inconsistent behaviour (in the absence of my knowledge of private DNS stores) in address resolution.
The thing which baffled me was two different IE11 tabs - one failing and one succeeding - seems in explicable unless one accepts that there must be marked isolation of historical DNS resolution results.  This could make the "common" issue more profound on Win8 than Win7.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

I could have a failed load, open another tab in the same browser and it would often work in that tab.  Crazy
HPsauce
Pro

I guess another interesting test would be to change the router to use Google DNS (if that's easy to do) and see if anything differs at the PC?