cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Site Filtering option on Thomson 585v7 ??

eamoc
Dabbler

Web Site Filtering option on Thomson 585v7 ??

The user manual for the Thomson 585v7 wireless router indicates that there is an option under Internet Security (section 6.2) to manage Web Site filtering, for this reason I chose to go with this router when I joined PlusNet. This was going to be useful for controlling the kid's access to sites like Bebo and Facebook when they're meant to be doing their homework!!
However, now that I have it I can't seem to find the feature on the router's config menu.  Am I missing something?!?!?
11 REPLIES 11
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Web Site Filtering option on Thomson 585v7 ??

Proceed as follows:
1  Browse to the Thomson Gateway Web Interface.
2  On the Toolbox menu, click Web Site Filtering.
3  On the Location bar, click Configure.
4  Make sure that the Use Address Based Filter check box is selected.
5  In the Action for Unknown Sites, select:
        Allow as the default rule if you want to allow access to all web sites and manually specify which web
        sites may not be accessed.
        Block as the default rule if you want to deny access to all web sites and manually specify a number of
        web sites that may be accessed.
6  Click Apply.

Or so it says in the manual.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Toolbox > Parental Control > Configure
That should take you to the attached page where you can set up filtering for web addresses of your choice.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

eamoc
Dabbler

The ToolBox menu doesn't have WebSite filtering or Parental Control. I've attached a screen-shot...
eamoc
Dabbler

BTW - I'm logging into the router remotely using the 'tech' login - not sure if that makes any difference.
(The router is in my parents home and I'm trying to control web site access for my nieces and nephews.)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

eamoc
Dabbler

Hmmm  I can't remember if I saw Parental Control when I logged on to the router when I was on the LAN (and logged on as 'admin') - I'll check next time I'm at my parent's house.
But even if it is available under 'admin' that's of no use to me as I want to be able to enable/disable web-site access remotely - as far as I know I can only login remotely using 'tech' which doesn't seem to have the priviliges to access Parental Control.
Does anyone know if there is any way of logging into the router remotely using an ID that has 'admin' priviliges or equivalent??  I've tried creating IDs with 'TechnicalSupport', 'Administrator', and 'PowerUser' priviliges but can only seem to login remotely when using TechSupport rights.  Sad
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Could you use the firewall to block / allow on port 80?
You might have to use telnet access (or similar) to do so.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

eamoc
Dabbler

I tried using telnet onto their internet ip address but it didn't succeed, tried prefixing it with :21028 (as you do when connecting the the router) but no luck either.
eamoc
Dabbler

i've logged in as 'admin' and the Parental Control options is not there?!?!?  I've added screen-shot of the list of options under Tools and also the router details...
eamoc
Dabbler

I've logged in as 'admin' and there is still no Parental Control option under Tools.  I've attached a screen-shot of the available options and also a screen-shot of the router model and software version....
eamoc
Dabbler

Sorry for the duplicate post - IE crashed while uploading the first.