cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Server...

Lurker
Grafter

Web Server...

Supposing I fancy building a web server, what would be the recommendation.
I have a lovely little Dell Optiplex GX50 - Intel chipset (who cares about the speed?) with 256MB RAM. I'm pretty confident it has a hard drive in it too, so I can store stuff...
NIC etc all on board, CD-ROM and (a rare) floppy disk drive too!
So, I fancy having a dabble with Wordpress (amongst other things) and since there is only going to be me looking at the site (as a learning tool/curve for myself rather than a serious attempt at publishing, for now) I reckon I'll host it at home (or at work - I need to check if I can get a fixed IP on my home ADSL...)
So, in summary;
Empty boxen, ripe for the stickage of a new OS, shiny or otherwise.
I'm going to need Apache, and MySQL too.
Guess that's it. Right?
So, for a complete n00b, what it the suggested route of progression?
Boot from USB is a no-no, but I can grab the right .iso for a CD if I were to be pointed in the correct direction.
In terms of development longer term - if I can get my site heading the direction I want to, it will need moving to proper hosting in due course, and this box will probably spend the rest of it's life as a photo site webserver, hosting my family albums etc to share with family/friends.
So hit me with it guys:
Where do I go to start reading and button bashing?  Shocked
9 REPLIES 9
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Web Server...

I would personally grab the latest CentOS netboot ISO, burn to disk and boot off it, then point it at the centos mirror repository and tell it to install as a "web server"
CentOS doesn't have the latest, greatest bleeding edge kernel, but it's a very sensible, stable distro with long-term support.
B.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I would definitely agree with CentOS.
Virtualmin/Webmin is also fantastic for setting up and looking after your server once you get CentOS installed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just to be different I'm going to plump for ubuntu server - tick a box during install and that's your LAMP sorted Smiley
While it definitely doesn't have the solid commercial reputation of CentOS I've never had any issues with it.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I would recommend SME Server;
http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
So, for a complete n00b

What Matt said.
"But which is better? Debian or CentOS? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!"
Gabe
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You don't say if you expect to USE the machine or whether it will be a headless server? (i.e. accessed only over the network not from a local keyboard)
If you want to use it then a "standard" distro and add the LAMP after install. If headless then any of the above.
I have use SME and Ubuntu both have benefits etc.
I would steer clear of a Red Hat distro as setting up SLELinux can be a pain especially if the machine isn't actually going to be "live" you don't need it.
Although re-reading your post with 256Mb you are going to be struggling with any desktop, so headless setup is the option.
I would also suggest looking at <a href="http://www.ebox-platform.com/">ebox</a> as it looks like it might do what you want.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Another good reason for ubuntu server - it doesn't install X by default (so no desktop/window manager taking up unnecessary disk space and resources).
Lurker
Grafter

Cheers for the advice guys - starting at the top and working my way downwards!
Quote from: Barry
I would personally grab the latest CentOS netboot ISO, burn to disk and boot off it, then point it at the centos mirror repository and tell it to install as a "web server"

Hmm - just like Windoze - installed, first time I run gnome it demands 60 updates, then requests a reboot!
Its just like being at home... Grin
seanbranagh
Grafter

That is about the only reboot you will ever need. It is probably not even needed.
It is probably because you are running Gnome desktop which you don't actually need for a webserver anyway. Once you get more familiar with it you should reinstall with no desktop as the server will run better that way.