cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Companion

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Web Companion

I have just had an update from Gom, and having installed it, I am now getting a message headed Web Companion. It changed my Internet Explorer setting to Bing, when I want it set to Google. I have reset to Google before I came onto the forum. Although I tell it 'remind me later', it kept coming up every 5 seconds making typing this message to you very difficult, and in the confusion, I accidentally caught the accept button. This put IE back to Bing, so I have reset yet again to Google. Web Companion spotted this and asked me to confirm this.
The original Web Companion message stated that Browser Extension prevents Web Companion from managing Browser Settings. Is that good or bad?
Web Companion is showing up as a new program on my pc. I am very concerned - should I get rid of it? If I keep it, will it keep setting IE to Bing? If I get rid of it, will the normal process get rid of it without leaving any problems?
Thanks for your help
11 REPLIES 11
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Web Companion

You can add that I have something called PC Mechanic too, that I don't seem to be able to close. The only thing it will let me do is a scan, but I'm afraid that if I do, it will put nasties on my pc.
as with Web Companion, am I worrying about something that is actually good?
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd never heard of this 'Web Companion' until now and it appears to be by a company called Lava Soft which would suggest that you chose to install it, is that right? I'm going to be blunt so forgive me but I really can't see the need for filling your (or anyone's) PC with this kind of software, to me it's a waste of clock cycles.. When surfing common sense should be all you need, maybe easier said if other have access to your machine but all the same...
penneck
Aspiring Pro

They are both by Lava soft, but I didn't deliberately install them. As I said in the initial post, I was installing an update to GOM Player (I have had GOM Player on my pc for ages). I kept my eyes open for things that GOM may offer but I wouldn't want. I didn't spot either of these. They sneaked in as I installed GOM, so if they came in with the GOM Update then "Shame on GOM" for hiding them that well.
I can think of two really worrying things. (1) If they are in the GOM Update, do GOM know they are there? (2) Has someone found a way that they can load iffy software on a remote pc when something else is being loaded, and do it without the remote pc know it is happening?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You didn`t need it before the GOM update ( thanks for the heads up) ...  so the best thing to do is to uninstall it...
I would also uninstall the PC mechanic, if you don`t need/use it... then do a clean up using CCleaner....
I use "Absolute Uninstaller"... as this shows "new" (in red)  when stuff gets added to the computer, so it is easy to spot, even if it is a name you didn`t know about... and can uninstall quite simply. (make a short cut for your desktop)....  Wink
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

A lot of updates include so called free software  Roll_eyes   but you have to Un tick the install when you do the update
Basically its just Bloatware you dont need , the is a program that auto un ticks that type of program
http://unchecky.com/
or if your unsure of what to uninstall you can try this http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/index.aspx ; Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry showing my ignorance here what is GOM?
I did hear that there is a File Hosting web site called downloads.com the wraps unwanted software around the software you want to install, but that was sometime ago and may have stopped.
Do a search using this "Unwanted software from downloads.com" and you'll see what I mean.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Mook Gom is a music player  Wink
http://www.gomlab.com/eng/
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Okay. Thanks for the advice. I will just uninstall them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks rongtw.  Smiley
And with reference to my last post.
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DownloadWrappersAndUnwantedSoftwareArePureEvil.aspx
Mav
Fixes: 515

I have just updated my version of GOM to the latest.
During the setup I was offered, as usual, Express or Custom installation. I always select Custom and this gave the option to install PC Mechanic which I unticked.
After the update I checked Programs and Features and there was no sign of PC Mechanic or Web Companion. Did you, perhaps, forget to select Custom install?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penneck
Aspiring Pro

In a word Mav, Yes.
Stupid, I know, but I forgot to do that simple thing. I was obviously looking in the wrong place
Cheers